If your house is on fire what recording would you grab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

If your house is on fire what recording would you grab?

I am indebted to EdgelyRob for the idea of this thread!

For the moment, I am not sure. But perhaps some of you board members might be able to help me?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • amateur51

The whole lot can go up I'm afraid, as long as I get my London Freedom Pass out

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

Please don't even mention that catastrophe! The sea of molten, silver lava that would resultingly engulf my local town would weigh very heavily on my mind.

(Schwarzkopf with Szell in the Vier Letzte Lieder, by the way )
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Handel's Water Music?

This is a sort of extreme version of Desert Island Discs, really, isn't it...?

I think I might save my £2.50 Barshai Shostakovich symphonies box on the basis it would keep me going and feeling resilient in the face of crisis till the insurance came through and I could replace the rest... Plus it's the best CD deal of all time, unlikely to be repeated!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I think I might save my £2.50 Barshai Shostakovich symphonies box on the basis it would keep me going and feeling resilient in the face of crisis till the insurance came through and I could replace the rest... Plus it's the best CD deal of all time, unlikely to be repeated!!
          Bluddy 'Ell, Calibers. I thought I was the only SuperDrug customer here! You Cheapskate!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Bluddy 'Ell, Calibers. I thought I was the only SuperDrug customer here! You Cheapskate!

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

I'd dither so much I think I'd resign myself to going up with them...

But then I might think of my clothes -especially those over-the-knee boots, so warm and comfy, soft black leather with 3-inch heels, a very good reason to look forward to the winter each year, grab them and their associated outfits pronto and run.

Oh wait, the music!!! OMG, the cat!!!!! As the flames rise up before me, standing with an armful of fashion in the front garden...

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Probably more boring than Superdrug - Gould Goldbergs Second Coming.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

This just might have to be the Steven Osborne recording of

Vingt Regards sur L'Enfant Jesus

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    I'd dither so much I think I'd resign myself to going up with them...

But then I might think of my clothes -especially those over-the-knee boots, so warm and comfy, soft black leather with 3-inch heels, a very good reason to look forward to the winter each year, grab them and their associated outfits pronto and run.

Oh wait, the music!!! OMG, the cat!!!!! As the flames rise up before me, standing with an armful of fashion in the front garden...
                    A fine set of priorities jlw!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      those over-the-knee boots, so warm and comfy, soft black leather with 3-inch heels,
                      Oooo matron.
                      RVW Pilgrims progress or Dona Nobis or 5th symphony or Job or 9th symphony (it's too difficult).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Schoenberg String Quartet No 2 in F sharp minor, Op. 10 as played by the Ardittis, no question. Coming to terms with that change from tonality to atonality marked a big change in my life.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Mozart's Piano concertos complete ( Perahia / Barenboim) and numerous single performances if I could grab them in time.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

The Christmas Day Amsterdam Mahler concerts CD's with Bernard Haitink. Actually, I'd try to grab the DVD's as well (or instead) and make a daredevil attempt to snatch the live Tennstedt LPO Mahler 2 before the flames consume the rest.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Don Petter

Alfred Deller's Madrigals, Volume 5 (Including Fire! Fire! my Heart) - and hope to find something to play it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X