Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Yes, Gumpish.

I always assumed that we all had internet names. For example, my real name isn't LateralThinking1. (It doesn't have a "1" in it). I hope you won't be offended if I said that Eine Alpensinfonie is one hell of a real name and Eine Kleine Alpensinfonie is even better.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

You're probably right, Mandryka, but attitudes were different then. (In answer to Mandryka's post #29.)

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        You're probably right, Mandryka, but attitudes were different then.
        I'm not sure they are, Mary. The events of 11/9 threw up even more ridiculous things (Prom programmes changed, etc.)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Weight: 6 lb 8 ounces.
          Name: Eine Kleine Alpensinfonie
          Important details: mother and baby fine; father a changed man
          Gramps sounds pretty chuffed too. Congratulations EA and to all involved

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            I'm not sure they are, Mary. The events of 11/9 threw up even more ridiculous things (Prom programmes changed, etc.)
            That's very true! Perhaps I just meant that my attitude and that of people I know has changed

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              I always assumed that we all had internet names. For example, my real name isn't LateralThinking1. (It doesn't have a "1" in it). I hope you won't be offended if I said that Eine Alpensinfonie is one hell of a real name and Eine Kleine Alpensinfonie is even better.
              Yes, but wouldn't it feel wrong if we addressed one another by our birth certificate names?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I don't know. It is all very confusing.

Comment

• Karafan
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, it would! When PM'ing other members I feel the urge to sign off with the screen name but have recently thought better of it. Perhaps we're all a bit schizophrenic!
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

PLEASE STOP, EVERYONE. HERE IS THE NEWS!

November 22nd is my son's birthday and today his first child was born.
                    Never mind Kennedy, Britten, etc. I'm a grandfather!
                    Congrats Eine Alpensinfonie and to your son and daugher-in-law. Now, that's what I call family planning!

Like yourself we were doing prep in the houseroom; the head boy came in and announced it. Funny: they always say, "One of those momentous events like the death of Kennedy when you'll always remember where you were and what you were doing when you were told". That is the only occasion of that kind when I do remember clearly.

Best wishes to the family and

S-A

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, it was a Friday and at the age of 9 I remember it vividly. We saw the news on television in our living room, I also have the following morning's edition of the Daily Express which I saved deliberately.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                        • Nov 2010

I was too young (just eleven months) but as with with most Irish families you knew all about the Kennedys, no matter your age. He had made an enormous impression on my father and here's why:

It was just a little after six-thirty on a dark November evening in 1963 when TP arrived at the Stage Door of the Royal Court Theatre off S...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Blimey, we're the same age to the month. Happy 49th sometime between now and 22 December.
                          Last edited by Guest; 23-11-11, 00:32.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

Incidentally, I always felt that his brother was the greater loss.
                            Yes, I think Robert was the real thing. His brother was an imperfect character but one that rose very artfully to the challenges he was tasked by. Bobby was the one with a passion and a rectitude that was undeniable. He would have been an unstoppable force and that was why he was forcibly stopped in his tracks by a syndicate unknown, but much more likely CIA connected than mafia.

Poor JFK was just the victim of a troubled individual with an excellent eye for a target.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              Blimey, we're the same age to the month. Happy 49th sometime between now and 22 December.
                              You precede me a tad I think. To quote Harold Skimpole ... 'I'm a child in all of this .. a mere innocent!'

I was issued on 28th December - the purported day of Herold's slaughter of the innocents.

My brothers were given lovely gaelic names but as honourable son number four my mother was inclined to a degree of ennui and the best she could do was 'Stephen'. She was never even sure if she'd named me that because of St.Stephen's Day (26th) or because of the production of 'Stephen D' which was about to take my father to the London stage for the first time.

Even the manner of my arrival was wholly remarkable. At the time my father was presenting a morning radio show on Radio Eireann (and tolerating the apprentice news reader who would pop into his studio to read the bulletin ... a certain Terrance Wogan. I wonder if anything ever became of him?!).

Anyway, as he dressed to set off for the studio, my ever practical mother declared she was as ready as she'd ever be and he duly dropped her off at Holles Street maternity hospital, just off Merrion Square (and mere yards from the British Embassy torched by provo thuggery in about 1970).

Still, I like to think there's a certain synchronicity in my father being on air at the time I was born and that that was the same calling that would come to me years later.

Now, if only this stream could find it's way back to the river again. I still feel I have an awful lot to offer. All the more whenever I turn on 3 Breakfast. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 23-11-11, 01:20. Reason: edited to correct pisstakes

Comment

• Roehre

PLEASE STOP, EVERYONE. HERE IS THE NEWS!

November 22nd is my son's birthday and today his first child was born.
                                Never mind Kennedy, Britten, etc. I'm a grandfather!
                                congrats, EA, and our best wishes for mother and [grand-]daughter (and father )

Comment

Working...
                                X