• Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    I may be damned but I don't think I'm elusive

meanwhile what's happening at Leveson ?
    Have a stab at the crossword while you're waiting for His Lordship to utter words of wisdom
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Have a stab at the crossword while you're waiting for His Lordship to utter words of wisdom
      didn't do very well with that - I had to cheat
      I get all those newspaper editors/lawyers a bit confused
      I may need someone to explain the Michael Gove clue to me

Comment

• amateur51

Oh dear, who'd be Lord Leveson?

The sixth and final episode of the current series of The Thick of It (BBC iPlayer) took a poke at public enquiries ..

Political comedy. Lord Goolding's inquiry into the key worker housing scandal begins. The truth will finally come out. Unless, of course, anyone has any sudden lapses of memory.

.. and then there emerges the possibility that the Daily Mirror (Trinity Group) has been involved in phone hacking of celebrities during Piers Morgan's editorship.

Former England football manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is among four people taking legal action against the Daily Mirror for alleged phone hacking.

Of itself this revelation may not detain Lord Leveson long; however if the case is proven and it is shown that Piers Morgan knew about his newspapert's hacking activities, it throws a new light on Morgan's evidence to the Leveson Inquiry that he had not been involved in phone hacking.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

The sixth and final episode of the current series of The Thick of It (BBC iPlayer) took a poke at public enquiries ..

Political comedy. Lord Goolding's inquiry into the key worker housing scandal begins. The truth will finally come out. Unless, of course, anyone has any sudden lapses of memory.

.. and then there emerges the possibility that the Daily Mirror (Trinity Group) has been involved in phone hacking of celebrities during Piers Morgan's editorship.

Former England football manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is among four people taking legal action against the Daily Mirror for alleged phone hacking.

Of itself this revelation may not detain Lord Leveson long; however if the case is proven and it is shown that Piers Morgan knew about his newspapert's hacking activities, it throws a new light on Morgan's evidence to the Leveson Inquiry that he had not been involved in phone hacking.
          Indeed - in which case, though, it might detain Lord Leveson for quite some time, might it not?!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Indeed - in which case, though, it might detain Lord Leveson for quite some time, might it not?!
            That's what I was intending to imply ... but clearly I failed

Comment

• handsomefortune

quite!

has anyone bothered watching this round of 'the thick of it' .... ?

at a ruff guess, a bit dim to weave such current politics about the media industry into the plot....they're presumably not short of idiots to base characters on. not dim - unhelpful, i mean. (i suppose i should view the 'entertainment' link provided... sigh)

there seems to be a fixation with hospital drama within soaps lately, judging by the medical flavoured scenes, supposedly enticing people to soapdom, i suppose it's to ensure a turn around on new characters....at one time people whose soap contract had ended (for some reason) used to go to prison, or emigrate. seemingly, now they have a trip to hospital instead!

along with adverts for metres of 'spare men in my area' .... and mezmerisingly convulsive belly trim adverts, i was hoping technological media, and tv would eventually eat itself.... i suppose i have to come to terms with the sad fact that 'the thick of it' poking at the leveson inquiry is as near as we'll get to total consumption.

i also optimistically hoped the inquiry might make all the right people very frightened, permanently. 'news int' arrests, the closure of 'notw', providing an example, and a warning to all vendors of the finest pap. admittedly, piers ..... would be much improved behind bars imo, and who'd want to be on his cnn chat show!

'tbf' ....if they've nailed ms brooks & co .....why not piers & co? the telly being the telly though might just start a series about journos enjoying hmp ......on sunny bermuda! which might just undo the point of reprimanding them all initially, and (unhelpfully) reiterate the high premium placed on notoriety ..above all else, despite journos, tv drama makers, hackers (the queen and roman ambromovich) valuing their own privacy very highly.

the practice was down to one rogue reporter, resulting in the reopening of the Met Police investigation into hacking and later the initiation of the Leveson Inquiry.

rather than put the lord justice to extra strain, back tracking, can't piers just be locked up on the grounds that his cnn chat show is sickening, and bad for american viewers? to save prison costs piers could share a cell with jeremy kyle? they can alternate between 'chat' and 'advice' to their little hearts' content.

despite the risk that 'the thick of it' has possibly run clean out of good ideas, here's actual proof that 'reality tv' can be healthy & helpful. imo racheal is helpful, in the 'reality driven' comic gem linked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7QQj...eature=related

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                quite!

has anyone bothered watching this round of 'the thick of it' .... ?
                Well, I have, for one.

despite the risk that 'the thick of it' has possibly run clean out of good ideas............
                Really?

Actually, you're probably right. I don't think this coalition has had a good idea yet.

Comment

• scottycelt

Excellent, timely question, amsey!

I feel so desperately sorry for the Dear Lord that I hereby volunteer to relieve him of all His onerous duties/remuneration with immediate effect ...

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                    "Political comedy The Thick of It might be satire, but Westminster-watchers have seen many of its fictional storylines come to life. What does this tell us about modern politics, asks Sean Gray, one of the show's writers".

i'm uniquely marvellous (if i self assess) too mangerton.

evidently, my original compulsive repulsive disorder has worn thin, replaced by a mild headache, no actual laughs, just a hollow sensation generally.

of course, no one would want to deny everyone in scotland, wales, ireland, oz, nz, zimbabwe and beyond from the many thigh slapping moments watching drama about england's utterly dysfunctional political mainstream........... but if you live in england, the actual politicians are genuinely and spontaneously absurd without even rehearsing ...... living through it twice amounts to masochism, rather than enjoyable entertainment.

nevertheless, series 5 of 'the thick of it' coming to you shortly apparently.... ... (i still rate iannuci, just think his original concept has temporarily got stuck in a rut. hopefully, he'll have made plenty of dosh in order to do some genuinely daring new material soon. if not, the likes of racheal stubbings and john moreton (2012 series) and other new comers will provide - fingers crossed).

anyway, back to my 'who to lock up' list and the leveson inquiry.... ho hum.

Comment

Working...
                    X