X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rank_and_file
    • Oct 2024

More views on R3 changes

I came across this the other day, and do not think it got noted as the part of the media who are supportive of our majority views. Chisholm has been the fairly long standing Radio correspondent.

Weekly magazine featuring the best British journalists, authors, critics and cartoonists, since 1828

This comes from the 24 September 2011 edition, and perhaps some of might think things have got worse since then
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

yep but last time i was in USA [June July this year] NPR was going strong and i find psb in the USA admirable
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

She's a bit cautious. It sounds as if she hadn't listened to either of the morning programmes at that point and was going from the descriptions. She probably found SRB an improvement on GM.

The bit about Breakfast being made to sound 'less stuffy' is a bit of a cliché. The sad thing is that popular (music) radio presenters all have a particularly relaxed/jolly style which is seen as the norm, and anything which is less jolly, less informal/laid-back, is at fault and must be changed.

To my ears, Radio 3 presenters sounded just ordinary (not necessarily typical of people in general - but ... ordinary). Today's pop presenters are remarkabke in not really sounding like ordinary human beings talking in normal situations. Bizarre. Grotesque even.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• rank_and_file

ff

No idea what she has actually listened to, including trails. Certainly, for myself I have never listened to "Breakfast" with PT and rely on what it is like from comments on this site. In fact, neither do I listen to the "Essential" programme.

Your "less stuffy" bit is a misquote, I think. Surely she is trying to make the comparison between "stuffy (classical) music" with "chatty (interactive) radio" and the sort of presenters you go on to describe so well.

I think she is on our side!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rank_and_file View Post
          Your "less stuffy" bit is a misquote, I think. Surely she is trying to make the comparison between "stuffy (classical) music" with "chatty (interactive) radio" and the sort of presenters you go on to describe so well.

I think she is on our side!
          Yes, I think she is. I meant the opinion - whoever expressed it - that R3's music output was 'stuffy' was expressing a cliché. Just as the opinion that R3 is 'intimidating' is a cliché (I don't believe anyone would use that term unless they were prompted: "Do you find Radio 3 rather intimidating?" "Mmmmmm. Yes, perhaps it is a bit.")

And another thing - why do radio presenters have to be 'welcoming', and sometimes even bid me 'welcome'? They are the ones who are entering my house ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And another thing - why do radio presenters have to be 'welcoming', and sometimes even bid me 'welcome'? They are the ones who are entering my house ...
            Never thought of that, french frank - now I realise why it's always irritated me sooo much

Let's just hope they don't replace it with a knock at a door followed by 'Coo-eeee it's only me - may I come in?'

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

OPB ff
              They are the ones who are entering my house ...
              Sorry to go off the topic a bit but dose this not sound rather odd too, coming from the radio?

You are listening to [the programme] with me [the presenter].
              I thought I was sitting comfortably on my own….

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                OPB ff

Sorry to go off the topic a bit but dose this not sound rather odd too, coming from the radio?

You are listening to [the programme] with me [the presenter].
                I thought I was sitting comfortably on my own….
                I think, there was, a programme, Listen with Mother? "Are you sitting comfortably - then I'll begin" ??

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Let's just hope they don't replace it with a knock at a door followed by 'Coo-eeee it's only me - may I come in?'
                  . Now that's humorous! At one time R3 would have appreciated the joke too.

Btw, just back from St Geo's and have my ticket for Thursday. Bumped into Petroc for a short chat. He's chairing the meeting with RW on Thursday, so now the cat's out of the bag that I am on my way. No flicker of fear crossed his countenance. Listen out for an announcement of disruption in the hall during the concert, and a distant shrill voice piping 'Save Radio 3 from the philistines!!!'

On my suggesting this, Mr T asked whether the Wigmore lunchtime concert had passed without incident: I said I had seen nothing mentioned to the contrary on The Radio 3 Forum...

Comment

• amateur51

. Now that's humorous! At one time R3 would have appreciated the joke too.

Btw, just back from St Geo's and have my ticket for Thursday. Bumped into Petroc for a short chat. He's chairing the meeting with RW on Thursday, so now the cat's out of the bag that I am on my way. No flicker of fear crossed his countenance. Listen out for an announcement of disruption in the hall during the concert, and a distant shrill voice piping 'Save Radio 3 from the philistines!!!'
                    I double dare you, french frank

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank;102257 Listen out for an announcement of disruption in the hall during the concert, and a distant shrill voice piping 'Save Radio 3 from the philistines!!!'

On my suggesting this, Mr T asked whether the Wigmore lunchtime concert had passed without incident: I said I had seen nothing mentioned to the contrary on [B
                      The Radio 3 Forum[/B]...
                      Crikey, french frank is turning into Kate Adey or John Simpson!! Straight into the front line, no fear!! Petroc will quake under her stern countenence!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Crikey, french frank is turning into Kate Adey or John Simpson!! Straight into the front line, no fear!! Petroc will quake under her stern countenence!
                        Petroc looks in here from time to time and we had a short exchange of views on the subject of people being, shall we say, outspoken about presenters. I said I didn't control what people said here, to which he replied: 'Nor should you.' I said there was a point of view that it was unfair to 'criticise' (a coded term, perhaps) people who couldn't answer back, though he supposed that they could if they wanted to.

I said nothing about Breakfast...

Comment

• Anna

'Nor should you.' I said there was a point of view that it was unfair to 'criticise' (a coded term, perhaps) people who couldn't answer back, though he supposed that they could if they wanted to.

I said nothing about Breakfast...
                          Gosh, should think not as well, what with all those coded messages (do you swap ivy leaves like Kilvert, you and Petroc?) it's all good and well you chucked him out before Breakfast (would that be at The Marriot? Their breakfast is rubbish)

Comment

• rank_and_file

[QUOTE They are the ones who are entering my house ...QUOTE]

Talking about radio presenters entering “my house,” there were two people whom I always thought stood out with that particular skill of seeming to be talking to just this listener. For me they are Antony Hopkins, with his “Talking about Music” and Alistair Cooke with his “Letter from America.”

Obviously, I do disservice to lots of other people, whom others feel are wonderful communicators.

Going slightly off topic, here is another superb communicator
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I understand it won a “Gramophone” award this year, and the producers asked the YouTube poster to delete the other parts. We will have to buy the DVD!

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rank_and_file View Post
                              Talking about radio presenters entering “my house,” there were two people whom I always thought stood out with that particular skill of seeming to be talking to just this listener. For me they are Antony Hopkins, with his “Talking about Music” and Alistair Cooke with his “Letter from America.”
                              I would also include Jonathan Swain, especially when he was presenting the erstwhile CD Masters.

Comment

Working...
                              X