Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Actually I thought that the topic was a national anthem for England. However, if it's a national anthem for Britain that's wanted the problem of Ireland being a separate island doesn't matter, as it (or Northern Ireland) isn't included in Britain (as the full name of the state indicates - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland )

Comment

• scottycelt

Couldn't you sleep over the thorny issue, Flossie ... ?

Now, must be positive, so permission to speak, please, Sir!. Wouldn't it be much easier if we simply got rid of them all (first one in the bin, the unbelievably awful Flower of Scotland ) and simply adopted the European anthem? ... not that I want to appear too controversial and upset some members this early in the morning, mind.

However, I would be genuinely sorry never to hear the Welsh one again (the world's finest by a country mile!), so maybe an exception could be made in this case, just so we could all continue to enjoy that truly marvellous, exhilarating, communal singing?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Surely its Max's job to come up with a new one ?

though I can't find a rhyme for "Swan Terrine"

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
          simply adopted the European anthem? ... not that I want to appear too controversial and upset some members this early in the morning, mind ... truly marvellous, exhilarating, communal singing?
          Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.

This is an excerpt from Thank you people, a documentary film about the Finnish artist M. A. Numminen. The film was shot on tour during 2009 and 2010, this pe...

Comment

• scottycelt

Comment

• amateur51

Surely any nation would be happy to stand to attention, salute and sing along to this wonderful melody?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Actually I thought that the topic was a national anthem for England. However, if it's a national anthem for Britain that's wanted the problem of Ireland being a separate island doesn't matter, as it (or Northern Ireland) isn't included in Britain (as the full name of the state indicates - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland )
                You thought correctly, but I don't really believe that it's going off topic for someone who has already answered "no" to the question and given his reasons for that answer to suggest that ditching the current British one in favour of something better is a far better idea than finding a new one for England. As to the island status of Ireland, I know that Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain but is part of UK, but the point here is that it's nevertheless part of the island of Ireland which will accordingly remain a two-nation island until such time as Northern Ireland secedes from UK and applies successfully to merge with the Irish Republic, much to the delight of the about-to-retire Rev. Ian Paisley, so the "Fairest Isle" argument still doesn't really fit in national anthem terms. I'm not about to get into any argument about the concept of a united Ireland here, for that would not only be truly off-topic but also highly inflammatory; that said, however, everyone that I know who is from and lives in Northern Ireland regards themselves as "Irish" and two of them even include "Ireland" in their mailing addresses, almost as though there is already no border between the two nations (although I daresay that they probably have trouble getting their euros accepted)...

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Surely any nation would be happy to stand to attention, salute and sing along to this wonderful melody?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Very droll indeed, am - but, in all seriousness, isn't one point in favour of Fairest Isle the fact that it doesn't even suggest the need to stand to attention or salute?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

The guy on the left in the white teeshirt seemed to be dancing to his own music
                    Last edited by Flosshilde; 22-11-11, 12:06. Reason: homophone corner

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                      Couldn't you sleep over the thorny issue, Flossie ... ?
                      I was hoping the topic might put me to sleep, Scotty . I was kept awake by an excruciating pain in my ear, the result of a cold, & the only (slight) relief was to sip (actually that should be sit - but sipping something 'medicinal' might have helped) upright. It seems to have gone now - hopefully for good.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        The guy on the left in the white teeshirt seemed to be dancing to his own music
                        That's Bob Carolgees, Flossie (minus Spit the dog on this occasion but Spit is emblazoned on Bob's t-shirt)

Verily this was The Golden Age of Inter-Generational Television

Comment

Working...
                        X