Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    Crikey, you might well be the rightful heir to the throne, BBM ...
    That reminds me of a line from Ginsberg (aka Kenneth Williams) in 'Round The Horne' - or it might have been 'Beyond Our Ken' -
    'Now you see the cunning simplicity of my plan, Mr Horne ...only 465 more assassinations and I shall be Queen'

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

John Cage 4:33. If the Spanish can have an anthem without words I don't see why we can't go one better and have one that also lacks music.
      Steve

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        That reminds me of a line from Ginsberg (aka Kenneth Williams) in 'Round The Horne' - or it might have been 'Beyond Our Ken' -
        'Now you see the cunning simplicity of my plan, Mr Horne ...only 465 more assassinations and I shall be Queen'

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          There is, too the inconsistency of having "God Save the Queen" to represent England, which really covers all the home nations, while the others have their own. I mentioned earlier that "Land of Hope and Glory" is used by England for the Commonwealth Games, but this too is British rather than English, whereas "Jerusalem" specifically mentions England in the text.

Going off at a tangent, my favourite national anthems are the Russian and the Italian...
          Two wonderful tunes I agree EA - my favourite is the Italian, especially when played at the Rugby Internationals - it's like a mini-opera and takes weeks to play

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Crikey, you might well be the rightful heir to the throne, BBM ...
            My family tree seems to link up with the Scottish Royal Stuarts during the reign of King james VI of Scotland and I of England!! I. I am a descendant of John of Gaunt.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              My family tree seems to link up with the Scottish Royal Stuarts during the reign of King james VI of Scotland and I of England!! I. I am a descendant of John of Gaunt.

No wonder you're not short of brass ...

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... good lord, little englanderism is so depressing!

Me, I think Waterloo Sunset or Village Green Preservation Society will do just fine ...
                Waterloo Sunset is a great song but too London-centric for a National anthem. And Jerusalem is a great tune, but are the links with Israel and Palestine wholly appropriate for an English anthem? I think it needs a new song and a new tune, but it needs to have the fervour of Trelawny or Land of my Fathers!

Comment

• barber olly

Whatever you English choose, it'll be a mighty relief to the rest of us when you finally make up your minds ...
                  Unless you can make positive suggestions I think it's really little to do with you!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                    Unless you can make positive suggestions I think it's really little to do with you!
                    On reflection, you are absolutely correct, Sir ... I hereby apologise profusely to anyone here who was in the slightest offended by my grossly rude and impertinent comment ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

No wonder you're not short of brass ...
                      Probably wqhy i love brass bands!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Land of Hope and Glory: super melody but the words are not suitable for a Twenty First Century anthem: Sir Edward did not like them either. They are too close to the verse omitted from God Gave the Queen and call for expansionism.

Jerusalem: another super melody. Blake's poem is a thing of great beauty and in its mystical way a thing of wonderful sentiment. However it would be totally misconstrued by other nations and is hardly understood by a lot of the English.

I agree that Purcell's Fairest Isle is a much better choice. It has a brilliant melody and does not offend with its lyrics. Again a lot of modern English would not understand them. The first verse is super for describing the attractive beauty of the land. The second verse of Dryden's harks back to love stories than wind through the masque King Arthur and rather emphasises them ()at the expense of one's love of the Isle which could even prove attractive to Venus and Cupid. Maybe new words for the second verse praising our national character could be written.

Fairest isle, all isles excelling,
                        Seat of pleasure and of love
                        Venus here will choose her dwelling,
                        And forsake her Cyprian grove.
                        Cupid from his fav'rite nation
                        Care and envy will remove;
                        Jealousy, that poisons passion,
                        And despair, that dies for love.

Gentle murmurs, sweet complaining,
                        Sighs that blow the fire of love
                        Soft repulses, kind disdaining,
                        Shall be all the pains you prove.
                        Ev'ry swain shall pay his duty,
                        Grateful ev'ry nymph shall prove;
                        And as these excel in beauty,
                        Those shall be renown'd for love.

Not many nation's have a near Waltz for their Anthem like us. Sir George Solti told a tale where he was caught out by this at his first engagement in Britain where he thought he could conduct everything without a score. He did not rehearse the anthem thinking it would be unnecessary and that he could go along with the orchestra who were amused by by his attempt to start in a grand 4:4 time.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                          Land of Hope and Glory: super melody but the words are not suitable for a Twenty First Century anthem: Sir Edward did not like them either. They are too close to the verse omitted from God Gave the Queen and call for expansionism.

Jerusalem: another super melody. Blake's poem is a thing of great beauty and in its mystical way a thing of wonderful sentiment. However it would be totally misconstrued by other nations and is hardly understood by a lot of the English.

I agree that Purcell's Fairest Isle is a much better choice. It has a brilliant melody and does not offend with its lyrics. Again a lot of modern English would not understand them. The first verse is super for describing the attractive beauty of the land. The second verse of Dryden's harks back to love stories than wind through the masque King Arthur and rather emphasises them ()at the expense of one's love of the Isle which could even prove attractive to Venus and Cupid. Maybe new words for the second verse praising our national character could be written.

Fairest isle, all isles excelling,
                          Seat of pleasure and of love
                          Venus here will choose her dwelling,
                          And forsake her Cyprian grove.
                          Cupid from his fav'rite nation
                          Care and envy will remove;
                          Jealousy, that poisons passion,
                          And despair, that dies for love.

Gentle murmurs, sweet complaining,
                          Sighs that blow the fire of love
                          Soft repulses, kind disdaining,
                          Shall be all the pains you prove.
                          Ev'ry swain shall pay his duty,
                          Grateful ev'ry nymph shall prove;
                          And as these excel in beauty,
                          Those shall be renown'd for love.

Not many nation's have a near Waltz for their Anthem like us. Sir George Solti told a tale where he was caught out by this at his first engagement in Britain where he thought he could conduct everything without a score. He did not rehearse the anthem thinking it would be unnecessary and that he could go along with the orchestra who were amused by by his attempt to start in a grand 4:4 time.
                          I'm relieved to learn that I'm not alone in advocating Fairest Isle as the British National Anthem if indeed Britain has to have one at all! A fine melody, neither royalist nor anti-royalist sentiments nor, in its use of the superlative "fairest", likely to upset any other currently independent European states except perhaps Iceland and Malta...

Comment

• PatrickOD

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            I'm relieved to learn that I'm not alone in advocating Fairest Isle as the British National Anthem if indeed Britain has to have one at all! A fine melody, neither royalist nor anti-royalist sentiments nor, in its use of the superlative "fairest", likely to upset any other currently independent European states except perhaps Iceland and Malta...
                            An elegant bit of swerving there, ahinton, but I'm afraid I have to call for at least a scrum. The video evidence will show clearly that Ireland is still an isle and as such will dispute the very first line of your admittedly lovely song.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Is the UK national anthem the only one that is really about the head of state rather than actual nation?

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
                                An elegant bit of swerving there, ahinton, but I'm afraid I have to call for at least a scrum. The video evidence will show clearly that Ireland is still an isle and as such will dispute the very first line of your admittedly lovely song.
                                On the contrary - a most inelegant bit of carelessness on my part, for which no mea culpa will adequately make up! That said, Ireland remains a two-nation isle, rather as is the isle that includes Haiti and the Dominican Republic, in the sense that it doesn't have a coastline all round it as does Britain and the others that I mentioned. Whilst the current constituent parts of Britain are indeed likewise, considering the idea of an "English National Anthem" is, to me, of less importance than discussing an improved anthem for Britain in its totality; surely, the time to do that is when England is, or is about to become, a nation in its own right rather than now when that is a mere future likelihood and not a fait about to be accompli.

No need for a scrum, though...

Comment

Working...
                                X