English National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

The biggest positive step this country could take socially is to have a French style renunciation of American culture.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      The biggest positive step this country could take socially is to have a French style renunciation of America culture.
      ... the country with the most MacDonald's per person is - of course - France.
      n
      The idea that the French 'renounce' Americanisation is (sadly) romantic piffle. After all, the French were the only 'civilized' nation who admitted that they enjoy Jerry Lewis...

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... the country with the most MacDonald's per person is - of course - France.
        n
        The idea that the French 'renounce' Americanisation is (sadly) romantic piffle. After all, the French were the only 'civilized' nation who admitted that they enjoy Jerry Lewis...
        Ah - but approximately 52% of the meat comes from French cattle. http://www.mcdonalds.fr

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

We do have this one

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and this one

Sex Pistols - God Save the queen in HD Quality! ENJOY!****COPY RIGHT****I take no credits for this song or the music video, All the credit goes to Sex Pistol...

Spiral Scratch is a true classic IMV

National anthems are a bit daft really, I have an old version of the complete music for all of them , what strikes you when looking is how similar they all are (with a few exceptions , India's was written by Tagore ) they are all designed for military bands , there are some without words at all ........ a good strategy IMV

which is why Hymnen isn't Stockhausen's greatest work

though this is also a work of genius

Holger Czukay - Der Osten Ist Rot 1984Trad. Arr. & Composed by Holger Czukay

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Somone said ealrier, why wait for Scotland and Wales to break away from the UK?

Come on England be the first to break away!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

It would be ungentlemanly.

[And it's Cymru am byth from me. Nadolig llawen! Except ... ]
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                It would be ungentlemanly.
                ... but (to misquote the comte d'Auteroche at the battle of Fontenoy*)

"Messieurs les Anglais - retirez les premiers... "

* [1745, War of the Austrian Succession - keep up... ]

Last edited by vinteuil; 19-11-11, 19:11.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                  Do you think it is time to have an English national anthem?

I'm often frustrated by the recognition that we English don't have an anthem we can truly call our own.

Any thoughts on what it should be?
                  No, I don't think that it's time to have one. When the union dissolves, some might consider it incumbent upon each of its four current constituent parts to have one but, until then, I would have thought it far more important to change the current dreary British one into something more suitable and interesting.

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    No, I don't think that it's time to have one. When the union dissolves, some might consider it incumbent upon each of its four current constituent parts to have one but, until then, I would have thought it far more important to change the current dreary British one into something more suitable and interesting.
                    Couldn't agree more. Why not one of Ives' "Variations on America"? Choose the variation to suit the mood of the occasion.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                      Couldn't agree more. Why not one of Ives' "Variations on America"? Choose the variation to suit the mood of the occasion.
                      Thanks muchly for your agreement but please, no! A fine piece of music with fine words is what's nedeed. My suggestion has long been Purcell's Fairest Isle.

Comment

• scottycelt

Whatever you English choose, it'll be a mighty relief to the rest of us when you finally make up your minds ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Ah, now Scottycelt, you never know!! Hmmm, I have Scottish ancestary too!! On my father's and mother's side. My grandsmother x2 looks similar to the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother! They were by the name of Boyd on my mother's side, I think Stuart on my father's?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• scottycelt

Ah, now Scottycelt, you never know!! Hmmm, I have Scottish ancestary too!! On my father's and mother's side. My grandsmother x2 looks similar to the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother! They were by the name of Boyd on my mother's side, I think Stuart on my father's?
                            Crikey, you might well be the rightful heir to the throne, BBM ...

Comment

• remdataram
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              I wholeheartedly agree that the current British anthem is too dreary, but do you think it right that the Welsh have a national anthem and the Scots have one for sporting events? England, at the very least, needs an English anthem for sporting events.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                                I wholeheartedly agree that the current British anthem is too dreary, but do you think it right that the Welsh have a national anthem and the Scots have one for sporting events? England, at the very least, needs an English anthem for sporting events.
                                There is, too the inconsistency of having "God Save the Queen" to represent England, which really covers all the home nations, while the others have their own. I mentioned earlier that "Land of Hope and Glory" is used by England for the Commonwealth Games, but this too is British rather than English, whereas "Jerusalem" specifically mentions England in the text.

Going off at a tangent, my favourite national anthems are the Russian and the Italian...

Comment

Working...
                                X