X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Jun 2024

Dulcie Gray: Dead.

Howards' Way star Dulcie Gray dies from bronchial pneumonia, aged 95.
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I am sad to hear that, Mandryka. I rarely saw her except in "old" films with her husband Michael Denison but one film had a strong effect on me. Back in the early days of BBC and ITV running together there were only two films available on TV: High Noon and The Glass Mountain. High Noon was famous for the shoot out and Tex Ritter repeatedly singing Do not forsake me, Oh my darling. The Glass Mountain for its love story with Dulcie Gray and Michael Denison (who were actually good actors) and the fabulous part with songs played by Tito Gobbi playing Tito Gobbi in his WW2 Italian Resistance ("Mafia", as it was called) role. I had just started liking "classical music" and enjoyed Gobbi working for Denison (a British composer) in WW2. As the film was on ITV or BBC almost every week I often watched it and went for singing lessons.

Comment

• hackneyvi

A whole age passes with her, surely. Michael Denison and Dulcie Gray were genteel, comic figures of antiquated charm even 30 years ago when I was a lad and I was very surprised to find that DG had still been alive to have died.

I'm finding that's happening quite a lot these days.

Only a couple of weeks ago, Denis Healey** was interviewed in the Evening Standard which I am quite sure was a forged interview because to my certain knowledge he'd died 3 or 4 times already.

** When the interviewer rang Denis to say she was on her way to his house with a photographer, he said, "Then I'd better put my trousers on."

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

And Googie still withers.

Comment

Working...
        X