• Jun 2024

Sibelius 8 fragments?

An article re: sibelius 8.
    Are these Sibelius 8 fragments?

See also on r3ok
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Most interesting Roehre. Sibelius 8 is possibly the most tantalising musical "might have been" of all (apart from all those Bach cantatas and possibly a Passion or two lying at the bottom of dusty library drawers in Germany )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Most interesting Roehre. Sibelius 8 is possibly the most tantalising musical "might have been" of all (apart from all those Bach cantatas and possibly a Passion or two lying at the bottom of dusty library drawers in Germany )
      Don't tell Mr 'Elgar 3' Payne!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
        Don't tell Mr 'Elgar 3' Payne!
        He's been there, done that and got the t-shirt, like D Cooke. Slightly different category...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Boilk
          • Dec 2010

Sibelius 8 is possibly the most tantalising musical "might have been" of all
          I think Scriabin's Mysterium woud have given Sibelius's Eighth a run for its money in the tantalising stakes

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

I think Caliban is referring to works that were actually completed by their composers, but subsequently lost or destroyed. I would add Boulez' Symphonie Concertante to his list.

Back to Sibelius 8: the first excerpt (the longest) is very intriguing - opening with a characteristic Sibelian sound, it immediately moves into a more chromatic language than is usual in his mature symphonies. The remaining fragments sound just like one might expect of the sketches of a work by this composer. Tantalizing stuff; thank you Roehre
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

This is fascinating. As far as I can make out some material survived the infamous bonfire. I have traced back (using the Windows "Translate to English" tab) some of the adjoining links at the bottom of Roehre's original posted page. There is a "suggestion" of 800 pages of material that has been unearthed. (Some may be letters though. This is not clear) One "expert" says a symphony could be finished. Another says emphatically no because there is not enough material.

The Translate Tab is quite erratic and leaves some key words in Finnish.

Word is getting around:

Comment

Working...
              X