X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angle
    • Dec 2010

Great Expectations at Christmas

Now, given the choice, which you won't be, what would you like to hear on Radio 3 this Christmas?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

"Daily" broadcasts of the Cantatas that make up Bach's Christmas Oratorio, preferably directed by Sigiswald Kuijken.

Repeats of the Ferneyhough "Total Immersion" concerts.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Angle View Post
      Now, given the choice, which you won't be, what would you like to hear on Radio 3 this Christmas?
      Any Bruckner symphony would be nice ... can't remember a Christmas which featured a single one in recent years, which seems decidedly odd considering this most apparently 'religious' of composers ... also almost anything by Bach ... and, oh, the wonderful Turangalila to get right into the hedonistic party mood, eh?

Comment

• PatrickOD

Now that Radio 3 has apparently gone populist, I might get my choice for Christmas. That would be for a good sprinkling of popular traditional carols, with lots of children's choirs - maybe at the end of programmes. I don't want to choose the carols, or performers; I'll leave that to the good taste of presenters and guests - I'm sure I'll like them all.

Comment

• Vile Consort
          • Nov 2010

A repeat broadcast of the series "Plainsong and the Rise of European Music", first broadcast something like 25 years ago.

Midnight Mass with renaissance polyphony and not ruddy Schubert, Mozart or Haydn.

"Die Historia, Der Freuden- and Gnadenreichen Geburt Gottes un Marien Sohnes, Jesu Christi, Unsers Einigen Mitlers, Erlösers and Seeligmachers," to give it its full title, more commonly known as "Die Weihnachtshistorie," by Heinrich Schütz. We performed it at school, circa 1971, in a bitterly cold church, with a small, semi-professional orchestra. I have a very soft spot for it.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
            I'll leave that to the good taste of presenters and guests - I'm sure I'll like them all.
            sounds like you're already in the Christmas spirit - goodwill to all men

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

R3 presenters given two weeks off (for some I'd even add another 11.5 months bonus) and R3 christmas as of 20 years ago (ie pre Wright) broadcast as repeats

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                ... and R3 christmas as of 20 years ago (ie pre Wright) broadcast as repeats
                There's a great deal of merit in that and it might even save money.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Lets have the matinee performance live from the Concertgebouw on Christmas Day.

And plenty of Sir Jonathan Swain to cheer us up.

Comment

• Mahlerei

A repeat of that L'enfance du Christ from Richard Hickox, broadcast on BBC Four a few years back. Quite the most moving performance I;ve encountered and surely one for commercial release.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia
                      what did that consist of ? - I forget
                      then it doesn't matter to you as will be just as novel as Wrong's offerings - maybe the BBC could offer all shills a Xmas bonus (or does it depend on words posted ?)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Vaughan Williams / Hodie
                        Holst /Christmas Day
                        Britten / A Boy Was Born

Comment

• Angle
                          • Dec 2010

EdgeleyRob's programme with the addition of L'Enfance du Christ and perhaps the Christmas Oratorio would suit me fine but I need some drama also, perhaps repeat of either Andre Obey's FROST AT MIDNIGHT or Gogol's CHRISTMAS EVE or better still, both.

I like the idea of giving the staff extended leave - quite inspired and a very charitable act.

Comment

• greenilex
                            • Nov 2010

I rather like Corelli's and Locatelli's seasonal concertos.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

We always have Britten's Ceremony of Carols, the old St Johns version, while opening presents with a glass of champagne

Comment

Working...
                              X