X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Do you?

In a book I am reading (The Birthday Present by Barbara Vine) the narrator asks "Why ... do we always talk about Handel arias and other music being 'in' Saul or Theodora or whatever it is, when they are 'from' if it's works by Mozart, say, or Beethoven?[/I].

I can't say I've noticed what I say - I assume that I say it's 'from' Saul etc. Do [B]you[/[B] say 'in' or 'from'? There are hints that the narrator is upper-class, so perhaps it's a class thing?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I've never heard anyone refer to the "Dead March in Saul" (or "Morning in Peer Gynt" or "Summertime in Porgy and Bess" for that matter). Perhaps I don't mix in the appropriate circles.

Or perhaps its a pointer that the narrator isn't to be trusted?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Maybe it's because they think we're getting so used to excerpts, we'll forget they're part of (i.e. "in") works they're drawn from.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Dead March in Saul is how I have always known it to be described, going back to my simplified piano version in the early 1960s. I've no idea why.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

"Dead March in Saul" is fine if it is referring to an element of a complete performance, but "from" is what I expect to hear when it deals with the march in isolation.

Comment

• Segilla
            • Nov 2010

'Dead March in Saul' is as I've always known it - since the 1950s.

But when did e.g., 'Joe Bloggs in Concert' come into being?

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Perhaps I should have said that just before the passage I quoted the narrator describes a funeral - "They played the 'Dead March' in Saul, this being Sandy's favourite piece of music - so he was definitely referring to an excerpt.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                "Dead March in Saul" is fine if it is referring to an element of a complete performance, but "from" is what I expect to hear when it deals with the march in isolation.
                Q.E.D.

Comment

Working...
                X