X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Oct 2024

Gordon Crosse

I would genuinely be interested to hear views from the learned on the merits or otherwise of Gordon Crosse. How considerable was his contribution to classical music? If you were to place him in a group of other composers, who would be in that group? To what extent is his music performed now? Will it have longevity?
  • EnemyoftheStoat
    • Nov 2010

The "was" is worrying, and prompted me to Google GC - I'm glad to find that implications of his demise are premature.

I've performed one of his pieces, the choral-orchestral "Changes", and would be very glad to have another crack at it. Much less deserving pieces get much more exposure.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes, EOTS, I originally described him as "the late GC" then realised my mistake. I partially had David Bedford in my mind as Verity played the Ancient Mariner recently. Anyway, it appears that GC was inactive as a composer for 17 years before returning in 2008. That too might account for it but good news generally.

Comment

• Don Petter

The only work of his which I remember is 'Meet My Folks!' which I had on an LP in the '60s. It was settings of poems by Ted Hughes, and quite jolly (it was written for children). The coupling, of his 'Ahmet the Woodseller', does not leave any memory at all, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
        X