X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Is that the best that Google could find you? Pathetic indeed. No need for me to waste my efforts refuting the sad excuse for a reasoned argument against recognising 4'33" as music there. Others have already done that job in the comments there. Face it, you are simply upset that your 'contributions' here are being treated with the disdain your bogus attempts a logic deserve.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

The problem is, Mr Pee, that you appear to delight in adopting extreme views (usually political, I must point out) and easily rise to baits thus leaving yourself open to criticism. For my part I do not deliberately try to be rude to you; I prefer leg-pulling when good old argument does not get through and all I get is babyish smileys. OK, once or twice I have lost me temper at some outrageous political utterance and said what I think at the time, but usually I behave. On this occasion I am offering some advice as an oldie to a youngster and apologise if that sounds patronising.

What does concern me about your posts (and Simon's) is the dearth of any interest shown by you both on Radio 3's main point of existence, i.e. MUSIC and the Arts. Your Avatar shows a photo of Sir Edward Elgar, Bart. OM. and often the board features a thread about his life and his works but we never ever hear whether you enjoyed the broadcasts involved. I too love Elgar's music and have been immensely proud to hear concerts of his music rapturously received in Prague, but Elgar lovers can talk themselves blue in the face and never hear from you. We know you have a professional interest in the theatre but you keep stumm on threads about drama. The only musical comments I have known from you have either been about political aspects of orchestras' management or threads about modern music that you do not like and instantly dismiss. You show a picture of EE and you used to call yourself Mr Phoebus (we know that is the name of Elgar's bike) but for all we really know you could be making up an image while you behave like a troll. If you wish to be taken seriously show that you are taking music seriously and the opinions of others rather than firing off these smileys which merely appear childish.
      Last edited by Chris Newman; 08-11-11, 21:23.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
        The problem is, Mr Pee, that you appear to delight in adopting extreme views (usually political, I must point out) and easily rise to baits thus leaving yourself open to criticism. For my part I do not deliberately try to be rude to you; I prefer leg-pulling when good old argument does not get through and all I get is babyish smileys. OK, once or twice I have lost me temper at some outrageous political utterance and said what I think at the time, but usually I behave. On this occasion I am offering some advice as an oldie to a youngster and apologise if that sounds patronising.

What does concern me about your posts (and Simon's) is the dearth of any interest shown by you both on Radio 3's main point of existence, i.e. MUSIC and the Arts. Your Avatar shows a photo of Sir Edward Elgar, Bart. OM. and often the board features a thread about his life and his works but we never ever hear whether you enjoyed the broadcasts involved. I too love Elgar's music and have been immensely proud to hear concerts of his music rapturously received in Prague, but Elgar lovers can talk themselves blue in the face and never hear from you. We know you have a professional interest in the theatre but you keep stumm on threads about drama. The only musical comments I have known from you have either been about political aspects of orchestras' management or threads about modern music that you do not like and instantly dismiss. You show a picture of EE and you used to call yourself Mr Phoebus (we know that is the name of Elgar's bike) but for all we really know you could be making up an image while you behave like a troll. If you wish to be taken seriously show that you are taking music seriously and the opinions of others rather than firing off these smileys which merely appear childish.
        Really? No threads about music? Take a look at my list of started threads. You clearly need to pay more attention, and I apologise if that sounds patronising.

And I have not started a political thread since the closure of the old boards, unlike many posters. As for the smileys- well, I happen to think they're a bit of fun, but there we go.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          Really? No threads about music? Take a look at my list of started threads. You clearly need to pay more attention, and I apologise if that sounds patronising.

And I have not started a political thread since the closure of the old boards, unlike many posters. As for the smileys- well, I happen to think they're a bit of fun, but there we go.
          "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

No surprise there then.

Comment

• amateur51

And amateur- do you have any views on 4:33? You have been asked, and have failed to come up with any sort of response. Or are you just here to join your chums in the playground?
            My response to your lickle fwend's question was given in msg 68, Mr Pee

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

No surprise there then.
              Well, sorry about that, but if you could be bothered- rather than wasting your time dreaming up new kindergarten insults to hurl about- you could easily find the page yourself, where you would find threads on Sibelius, Petrenko, the BPO, Pappano, Wagner, The Valencia Ring, Fischer and the BFO, The Classic Brit Awards, The Chandos Grainger edition, and Charles Hazelwood.

And, BTW, I've just scrolled down and seen your comment re. the BBC SO's "performance" of 4:33, where you say
              Usual numbskull comments are to be found there too.

Is EVERYBODY who disagrees with the gospel according to Bryn therefore a numbskull????
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                No, it wasn't. You just said:-

Delighted and thrilled to have surprised you!
                Accompanied by some "juvenile" smileys. How is that a comment on 4:33??

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Is EVERYBODY who disagrees with the gospel according to Bryn therefore a numbskull????
                  No, but those found there, and some here, in particular those you have posted, do indeed demonstrate a numbskull origin.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Over the past month, yes, there are a handful of threads about recordings though the highest number of "musical" messages were about 4:33 or mostly about the people trying to discuss it, then a lot about Janine Jansen's Dress, otherwise a few about Bryn Terfel, a few about Mahler records and the Rite of Spring and a "gay joke" on the Simon Russell Beale thread. There were quite a few unpleasant comments (13) about people who had died (some musical, some not), the majority of your messages were non-musical (Murdoch, St Paul's and so on). Some of the "musical" messages include calling people "twerps" or "ridiculous".

OK. I write on what can be called political threads, but I have never called anyone names on a thread whether political or musical. Be that as it may, I think I come on here mostly to discuss music. Tonight I have been distracted but I get cross when I hear my friends' musical tastes being simply and philistinely pooh-poohed. There are composers who I cannot stand but I try to be tasteful and tactful when I say so because what is one man's music is another person's racket. I must respect that. I hope that one day when you have experienced more music you will respect other people's tastes also.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      You're just plain scared of getting on the wrong side of old NetherRegions.

Comment

• Panjandrum

I prefer leg-pulling when good old argument does not get through and all I get is babyish smileys. If you wish to be taken seriously show that you are taking music seriously and the opinions of others rather than firing off these smileys which merely appear childish.
                        I hope you're reading this amateur, and taking note, as he means you too.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

This thread will run and run.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                            This thread will run and run.
                            Not necessarily...
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Over the past month, yes, there are a handful of threads about recordings though the highest number of "musical" messages were about 4:33 or mostly about the people trying to discuss it, then a lot about Janine Jansen's Dress, otherwise a few about Bryn Terfel, a few about Mahler records and the Rite of Spring and a "gay joke" on the Simon Russell Beale thread. There were quite a few unpleasant comments (13) about people who had died (some musical, some not), the majority of your messages were non-musical (Murdoch, St Paul's and so on). Some of the "musical" messages include calling people "twerps" or "ridiculous".

OK. I write on what can be called political threads, but I have never called anyone names on a thread whether political or musical. Be that as it may, I think I come on here mostly to discuss music. Tonight I have been distracted but I get cross when I hear my friends' musical tastes being simply and philistinely pooh-poohed. There are composers who I cannot stand but I try to be tasteful and tactful when I say so because what is one man's music is another person's racket. I must respect that. I hope that one day when you have experienced more music you will respect other people's tastes also.
                              Well said, Chris

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                                You're just plain scared of getting on the wrong side of old NetherRegions.
                                I have discussed this music with Bryn and others before on this board and on the earlier one. Other people write most eloquently about it, more so than I ever could, so I don't bother to contribute - they know what I think.

You and Mr Pee, however, seem determined to provoke, goad and bully, mostly without any redeeming humour, although the unintentional humour in some of your writing is wonderful
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-11-11, 10:27. Reason: trypo

Comment

Working...
                                X