X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

BINGO
    Surely the whole ENC thing is the Godwin's Law of discussions about music from the last 100 years. ?

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      BINGO
      Surely the whole ENC thing is the Godwin's Law of discussions about music from the last 100 years. ?
      But we're not discussing music, are we? We're discussing 4:33.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        Sir, you're making a scene.

Comment

• John Skelton

You think it's nonsense, you've made your point - so are you actually now doing anything other than goading, Mr Pee? I think an interesting conversation could (could) be had about what constitutes a 'work' (for instance, Machaut's extraordinary Messe de Nostre Dame clearly isn't a 'work' in the sense that an Elgar symphony is, though concert and CD presentations of the music / text perhaps shift it towards a 'work' in a way that it never was in its time). But you'd call anyone who took that conversation seriously a "pseud", wouldn't you?

I remember from the old BBC boards, how you couldn't keep away from a thread about Stockhausen's music. Which, of course, you knew wasn't music at all. Telling your jokes . I doubt that sort of campaign of disruption would be much appreciated by you in the context of something you think valuable. But, of course, because you think it valuable there would be no reason to sneer at it, would there?

You are really a bit of a bully, Mr Pee.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Why am I a bully? I do not think that 4:33 is music, because there is nothing musical about it- no notation, no form, no structure; none of the things that are generally considered to be key elements of musical composition. I am sorry if my Pseuds Corner reference ruffled a few feathers, but the thought did cross my mind on reading some of the more fanciful attempts to defend 4:33 that they would indeed sit very nicely there.

I have no wish to offend, never mind bully; if you wish to look for a poster who often deliberately insults others, then I suggest Mr GG would be a better target for you. (See examples above.) He routinely resorts to abuse and insults directed at those with whom he disagrees.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
              Sir, you're making a scene.

Shame it went straight over the top of Mr Pee's head, Chris Newman

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Why am I a bully?
                I've really no idea: no doubt a psychologist could explain why to you...

Feel free to post my earlier message to Pseuds Corner, by the way,

For somebody who complains about falling standards, you really are an ignorant, little man.

Comment

• amateur51

Why am I a bully?
                  Such a heartfelt plea!

It's never too late to take up some form of therapy, Mr Pee

Edit: cross-post, sorry S_A!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Please miss a big boy did it and ran away !
                    Pathetic

4:33" has form ,notation ( hummm Kind Of Blue wasn't notated so I guess that's not music either ?)
                    And as much structure as Bolero

You, sir,conflate your own taste with whether it's music or not
                    I'm not particularly fond of Dickens BUT Bleak House is a (probably great ?) work of literature

Comment

• barber olly

I don't like Bolero either. Actually Bolero makes 4'33" sound good!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

For somebody who complains about falling standards, you really are an ignorant, little man.
                        Pathetic
                        The level of personal insults being hurled about by certain posters here, purely because their beloved 4:33 is being traduced, is really quite disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Such a heartfelt plea!

It's never too late to take up some form of therapy, Mr Pee
                        And amateur- do you have any views on 4:33? You have been asked, and have failed to come up with any sort of response. Or are you just here to join your chums in the playground?

4:33" has form ,notation ( hummm Kind Of Blue wasn't notated so I guess that's not music either ?)

What form? What notation?

Many years ago, I glanced at a copy of 4:33 ( the Peters edition, I seem to recall), and there was no notation. "Tacet for 4:33" is not notation. And as for form and structure- please Mr GG, try and explain- without resorting to personal insults - where the form and structure lie in 4 minutes 33 seconds of silence.

Bolero has a theme, modulation, different instrumental treatments of the theme, and a brief coda. That's way more structure than 4:33.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Obviously too many long words for you.
                          Have you actually bothered to READ what it says ? and applied your brain (??????????) to understanding a bit ??
                          You ask to much, I fear, MrGG.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            You ask to much, I fear, MrGG.
                            Pathetic.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Pathetic.
                              Oh do move away from the mirror, Pee.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Oh do move away from the mirror, Pee.
                                It is a very poor reflection- see what I did there?- on you that you are no longer capable of any sort of reasoned discussion and have instead resorted to insult and abuse. I am saddened and depressed that supposedly intelligent individuals have resorted to the behaviour of the playground.

In an attempt to get things back on track, read this, and then see if you can respond to it in a more mature manner.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X