X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Simon Russell Beale on Saturday Classics

This is such a lovely listen this afternoon. Very much has the aura of what Radio 3 was about and darn well still should be.
  • Anna

Totally agree, I'd rather given up on Saturday Classics after being patronised and talked down to by Gareth Malone at the start of the series but this is a proper grown up programme! Lovely.

Comment

• Vile Consort
      • Nov 2010

Simon Russell Beale - Saturday Classics

I haven't been listening to Saturday Classics previously, so I can't comment on previous programmes; however, I caught it today and was rather impressed by SRB's presentation - though less so by the bleeding chunks he presented.

The presentation seemed just right. A dispassionate tone of voice, and the content entirely about the composer and the music. Calm and authoritative. No gushing at all. No "what it means to me." No "what a wonderful performance that was". No emails or tweets. No phone-in.

This is exactly the sort of presentation I am thinking of when I say (all too frequently!) that it used to be possible to learn quite a lot about classical music by listening to Radio 3.

Anyone agree? Or disagree?

Edit from ff - moved into current thread.
      Last edited by french frank; 06-11-11, 11:03.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Totally agree, I'd rather given up on Saturday Classics after being patronised and talked down to by Gareth Malone at the start of the series but this is a proper grown up programme! Lovely.
        Thanks all, I caught the last 30 mins (that Strauss Prelude!!! )... and have set the next 3 episodes to record, and keep upon the ipod. I agree, SBS is ideal. Paris next Saturday
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
          • Nov 2010

SRB is not a broadcaster but he is proof positive that good broadcasting arises out of the understatement. Hence, why so many of us on here rile against the forced effusiveness of too many presenters on Radio 3 these days.

You don't convince an audience that something is worthy by dancing a merry jig. You present it for what it is and allow the listener to make his or her own conclusions.

Mr Russell-Beale is a genuine devotee of the classics. An early friend of his at the RSC in Stratford was Norman Rodway and they quickly formed a bond over music.

Indeed, hearing this afternoon's programme I was reminded of Rodway's own Radio 3 moment in the 1970s slot, 'Man of Action'. A wonderfully, hyperbolic strand title.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

I haven't listened to it, but looking at the playlist it seems to be full of the bits & pieces (isolated symphony movements, single songs from a cycle) that people complain about in 'Breakfast' etc. So what's different? - why does this "Very much [have] the aura of what Radio 3 was about" as Anna puts it?

Simon RB seems very nice, but when I watched the first of BBC4's symphony series I kept wanting someone who knew more about music who could engage Mark Elder in a proper discussion - follow through points he made, rather than nod & go on to the next thing in the script.

Comment

• Vile Consort
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              I haven't listened to it, but looking at the playlist it seems to be full of the bits & pieces (isolated symphony movements, single songs from a cycle) that people complain about in 'Breakfast' etc. So what's different? - why does this "Very much [have] the aura of what Radio 3 was about" as Anna puts it?
              It's the presentation that is getting the rave reviews here for both its style and its content. You could actually learn something about the music, the composer's life and his place in musical history (when he lived, who his influences were, etc).

Yes, there were single movements. But they were quite substantial chunks, by no means the same old pieces yet again, and certainly not the succession of over-familiar lollipops that "Breakfast" has degenerated into.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

I'll try & have a listen.

Comment

• Anna

As VileC says, it was presentation, not content. Matter of factual, no gimmicks, no "Can you guess what this is yet, Children", no pleas to tweet, email or otherwise engage interactively.

Just a bloke on the radio introducing stuff and being rather interesting as to the links.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                    • Nov 2010

SRB's wiki entry is daunting but that's not in the least how he comes across. Early childhood in Malay, Former St.Paul's chorister, father a former Surgeon General for the armed forces, a first from Gonville & Caius, proprosed for a PhD, CBE, a variety of honorary degrees and theatre awards galore.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

zzzzzzzzzz
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-11-11, 08:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X