X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    An acciaccatura is the "Sunday Best" name for a "Grace Note": a very fast note just before a note in a melody (about as fast as the first "p" in "Phnomm Pennh"): the "chirps" in the flutes at the start of Mahler #4, f'rexample.

An appoggiatura is longer note (traditionally half the length of the note that follows it, but the late Romantics made them last forever!) - it's an expressive dissonance added to a chord to make it gorgeous/slushy/treacly (according to taste).
    Thanks

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      on the telly they do these maths progs and like they never really explain any equations eh .....but they do it in all these lovely places ... but R3 is like better because you can tweet Sara and phone in about the Mahler that was on when the cat died .... and with the music you can imagine the places and tell Rob and Sara and its lovely and i never did like equations ... and we never did Italian at school ..... and what was Grace doing with your note S_A?
      taking notes

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

.... considered by many to be remarkable for its mathematical beauty. These three basic arithmetic operations occur exactly once each: addition, multiplication, and exponentiation. The identity also links five fundamental mathematical constants:

The number 0, the additive identity.
        The number 1, the multiplicative identity.
        The number π, which is ubiquitous in trigonometry, the geometry of Euclidean space, and analytical mathematics (π = 3.14159265...)
        The number e, the base of natural logarithms, which occurs widely in mathematical and scientific analysis (e = 2.718281828...). Both π and e are transcendental numbers.
        The number i, the imaginary unit of the complex numbers, a field of numbers that contains the roots of all polynomials (that are not constants), and whose study leads to deeper insights into many areas of algebra and calculus, such as integration in calculus.

wicki
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

"I went to hear Krushnamurti speak. He was lecturing on how to hear a lecture. He said, 'You must pay full attention to what is being said and you can't do that if you're taking notes'. The lady on my right was taking notes. The man on her right nudged her and said, 'Don't you hear what he's saying? You're not supposed to take notes'. She then read what she had written and said, 'That's right, I have it written down here in my notes'".

J Cage - "Silence" 1961

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

An acciaccatura is the "Sunday Best" name for a "Grace Note": a very fast note just before a note in a melody (about as fast as the first "p" in "Phnomm Pennh"): the "chirps" in the flutes at the start of Mahler #4, f'rexample.

An appoggiatura is longer note (traditionally half the length of the note that follows it, but the late Romantics made them last forever!) - it's an expressive dissonance added to a chord to make it gorgeous/slushy/treacly (according to taste).
            I've only just noticed this - excellent definitions! Of course Wagner created a new harmonic language out of unresolved appoggiaturas, though they're not usually called that.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              "I went to hear Krushnamurti speak. He was lecturing on how to hear a lecture. He said, 'You must pay full attention to what is being said and you can't do that if you're taking notes'. The lady on my right was taking notes. The man on her right nudged her and said, 'Don't you hear what he's saying? You're not supposed to take notes'. She then read what she had written and said, 'That's right, I have it written down here in my notes'".

J Cage - "Silence" 1961
              Or

"I went to hear Krushnamurti speak. He was lecturing on how to hear a lecture. He said, 'You must pay full attention to what is being said and you can't do that if you're taking notes'. The man on my right was taking notes. The woman on his right nudged him and said, 'Don't you hear what he's saying? You're not supposed to take notes'. He then read what he had written and said, 'That's right, I have it written down here in my notes'".

Of course, the anecdote might actually be true.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Or

"I went to hear Krushnamurti speak. He was lecturing on how to hear a lecture. He said, 'You must pay full attention to what is being said and you can't do that if you're taking notes'. The man on my right was taking notes. The woman on his right nudged him and said, 'Don't you hear what he's saying? You're not supposed to take notes'. He then read what he had written and said, 'That's right, I have it written down here in my notes'".

Of course, the anecdote might actually be true.
                I've always asumed Cage was already "out" by then...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

.... considered by many to be remarkable for its mathematical beauty. These three basic arithmetic operations occur exactly once each: addition, multiplication, and exponentiation. The identity also links five fundamental mathematical constants:

The number π, which is ubiquitous in trigonometry, the geometry of Euclidean space, and analytical mathematics (π = 3.14159265...)
                  The number e, the base of natural logarithms, which occurs widely in mathematical and scientific analysis (e = 2.718281828...). Both π and e are transcendental numbers.
                  The number i, the imaginary unit of the complex numbers, a field of numbers that contains the roots of all polynomials (that are not constants), and whose study leads to deeper insights into many areas of algebra and calculus, such as integration in calculus.

errm

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

it's ok Edgeleyrob you just have to know what you like in maths ....
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=EdgeleyRob;150007].... considered by many to be remarkable for its mathematical beauty. These three basic arithmetic operations occur exactly once each: addition, multiplication, and exponentiation. The identity also links five fundamental mathematical constants:

errm [/QUOTe

goes without saying , really !!
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Is it true that constipated mathematicians work it out with logs ?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

I'm quite fond of this

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            Is it true that constipated mathematicians work it out with logs ?
                            ... I thought it was "on a piece of paper with a pencil"?
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

excellent. well done. correct. did you learn the definition of these terms from Radio 3, or by some other means? if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                excellent. well done. correct. did you learn the definition of these terms from Radio 3, or by some other means? if you don't mind me asking.
                                A very strict Violin teacher when I was twelve.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X