Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Cracking first post Catherine, welcome!!! Couldn't agree more!
    100% seconded

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      [...]they work to a pepsi cola target of quarterly numbers now and fail even at that ...
      Earbashinchunkbleedinkidpatronisinbadvibinnonstopt alkinlanguagemispronouncinclassicenvyinwarhorsepla yin

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

a timid beginner who will run away if anyone mentions sonata form or D#.
        how important is it for me to understand the difference between an appoggiatura and an acciaccatura to appreciate a piece of music?
        how important is it for me to understand the molecular structure of the ingredients to appreciate a meal?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          how important is it for me to understand the difference between an appoggiatura and an acciaccatura to appreciate a piece of music?
          how important is it for me to understand the molecular structure of the ingredients to appreciate a meal?
          hummm

The conventions of ornamentation are more like ready meals ......... if you want molecular structure you need to go to the microsound level and this is what you need http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item...d=8587&ttype=2

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Since you ask, what is the difference between an appoggiatura and an acciaccatura ? (serious question,I know I could google it but the answers one gets on here are more interesting)

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Earbashinchunkbleedinkidpatronisinbadvibinnonstopt alkinlanguagemispronouncinclassicenvyinwarhorsepla yin

imv radio 1xtra comes close BEHIND r3 in the 'ear bashin' sense...incredibly.

perhaps r3 presenters are encouraged to take a leaf out of the ramblings of a mr grimshaw, whose show was until recently an r1xtra late night slot? the two styles are remarkably similar, except what's deemed suitable at night on r1xtra is increasingly used in the daytime on r3. the respective 'djs' just intend to patronise different target audiences, nevertheless united in their hapless text & twittering addiction.

as yet, r3 doesn't repeatedly use snatches of the simon bates 'sad' theme tune, applied liberally to all/any subjects rambled about between music by dj grimshaw. (wasn't simon bates (officially) 'sad slot' called 'our tune')? r1xtra djs seem to have had a reshuffle, including dj grimshaw, and the hideous dj c moyles - perhaps we're 'lucky' on r3 that moyles isn't the inspiration for r3 style? but i'd best shut up - in case the new beeb dg thinks 'bad is good' in some twisted retro permutation. that is, despite writing on her/his application for the beeb dg post, that they're a keen 'internationalist', and always bend over backwards to be 'forward thinking'.

(btw for anyone interested, the next beeb dg was discussed today on 'the media show' on r4. there's also a (nightmareish) woman guest, talking to steve hewlett about 'facebook'. she says that increasingly stalkerbook is being used by old people, 'even grandads'! therefore high time for the youth to march to a new format, & splash out on a fancy app, allegedly in order to 'differentiate themselves from other generations')!

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                what is the difference between an appoggiatura and an acciaccatura ?
                this is (apparently) what Radio 3 should be telling you
                whereas if you want to understand molecules you should ........................... go to school
                Last edited by mercia; 11-04-12, 18:42.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

this is what Radio 3 should be telling you
                  It would have done in the olden days!
                  Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 11-04-12, 19:11.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

You want more of this ?

"Any prolongation that would be part of a Schenkerian graph of a piece will also be expressible as contrapuntal motion on the diatonic lattice. Jones (2002) has formalized the criteria for observing the "effect of being passing" on the lattice. According to Jones, any prolongation between two harmonies exhibits passing and neighboring motions in the pitch-class counterpoint between all chord members of both the initiating and terminating chords. Jones defines passing motion as stepwise ascent or descent that may linger on a pitch class along the way but never changes direction. Neighbor motion is defined as a single stepwise alternation figure with only the next higher or lower diatonic step, holding for as long as necessary on each of these two steps, but only leaving from and returning to the original scale step once. When every member of the first chord passes in one of these manners to some member of the last chord, and every member of the last chord concludes a passing or neighboring line from some member of the first chord, the progression is called "pervasively fluent" (after Schenker's "melodic fluency"). The diatonic pitch-class lines contributing to a pervasively fluent passage (or PFP) provide the means by which a passage can be heard as being harmonically transient (or "being passing") between two structural chords."

(actually I do understand it .......... not that it's anything to boast about as I can't seem to find my car keys ! as you were , in the " Real " world )

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

this is (apparently) what Radio 3 should be telling you
                      whereas if you want to understand molecules you should ........................... go to school
                      Hmm. I recall a fine series of Radio 3 programmes on then recent developments in high energy physics, with Murray Gell-Mann, Abdus Salam, et al, back in the late '70s or very early '80s. What chance now?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

An acciaccatura is the "Sunday Best" name for a "Grace Note": a very fast note just before a note in a melody (about as fast as the first "p" in "Phnomm Pennh"): the "chirps" in the flutes at the start of Mahler #4, f'rexample.

An appoggiatura is longer note (traditionally half the length of the note that follows it, but the late Romantics made them last forever!) - it's an expressive dissonance added to a chord to make it gorgeous/slushy/treacly (according to taste).
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... and the Italian helps here - acciaccatura, a crushing, bruising ; appoggiatura , a leaning, resting upon

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Passing notes certainly went on in my school lessons

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

on the telly they do these maths progs and like they never really explain any equations eh .....but they do it in all these lovely places ... but R3 is like better because you can tweet Sara and phone in about the Mahler that was on when the cat died .... and with the music you can imagine the places and tell Rob and Sara and its lovely and i never did like equations ... and we never did Italian at school ..... and what was Grace doing with your note S_A?
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Less a matter of how important it is as how interested you are in things.

How important is it to know who composed it, what it's called, when it was written, who was performing it, in order to appreciate a piece of music? Why not get oneself an iPod Shuffle and load it with favourite 'songs'?
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X