Cover / Other versions that work better than the original !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barber olly

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Indeed the other George had more than a little influence !
    and it always helps being able to afford top players for your sessions !

My objection to McCartney is that he plays this stupid "hey man, I don't do all that music notation stuff " , when more or less EVERYTHING he has ever done after the Beatles became popular has had session players sitting there , often in the same room, playing along with him.
    He is either
    1: Very lazy and not really interested in music. Surely one would wander over to Alan Civil (ALAN CIVIL FFS !!!!!) and say "hey man" (in the fake scouser twang) "how does that work then ?
    or
    2: He is pretending because its "cool"

I find this particularly objectionable not because I think music notation is essential for ALL musics, it isn't. But that it perpetrates a whole heap of myths about music learning.........

(there's also the "Frog Chorus" )
    I'm fairly sure it's 2 as noone would have attempted and achieved what he has without being interested in music. As for 'Frog Chorus' it was just a fun piece for kids ... Overall I would defend Macca's contribution to music over the last 50 years - I doubt anyone could be consistently brilliant over that span of time. Pick and mix what you want -or ignore it - it's up to you.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
      I'm fairly sure it's 2 as noone would have attempted and achieved what he has without being interested in music. As for 'Frog Chorus' it was just a fun piece for kids ... Overall I would defend Macca's contribution to music over the last 50 years - I doubt anyone could be consistently brilliant over that span of time. Pick and mix what you want -or ignore it - it's up to you.
      I tend to agree. He was very important, in one of the most important groups ever. As you say, even the very greatest don't always produce.

As for Ringo, I heard somebody say, and I can't remember who but it was someone in or close to the band, that in fact this stuff about him being a rubbish drummer is false, and that in fact he did most things in one take, and then went down the pub. And that is the version I choose to believe!!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Don't get me wrong. I do like McCartney. He has written some fantastic songs. He never convinced as a rocker but you can't do it all equally well. I even like the Frog Chorus for what it is but have some problems with Kintyre, Yesterday and Ebony/Ivory.

George Martin. Oh yes. Crucial. He turned up on TV on Saturday to remind us that he produced Rolf's "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport". The man has never put a foot wrong in my view. Pure quality.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Don't get me wrong. I do like McCartney. He has written some fantastic songs. He never convinced as a rocker but you can't do it all equally well. I even like the Frog Chorus for what it is but have some problems with Kintyre, Yesterday and Ebony/Ivory.

George Martin. Oh yes. Crucial. He turned up on TV on Saturday to remind us that he produced Rolf's "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport". The man has never put a foot wrong in my view. Pure quality.
          saw rolf at the wickham festival this year....and it was a very entertaining hour indeed.

Don't think Richard Thompson enjoyed following him....but he was even better than Rolf !!
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I have seen Rolf at least three times at Glastonbury - (i) main stage (ii) acoustic tent with rain pouring down on the electrical equipment, no one being able to play except for the guy with the wobble board and (iii) what we used to call the jazz world stage, about three years ago, where the whole area was crammed like never before. Couldn't fit any more in.

It was there that I queued up to speak to him and buy the record with that hand drawn picture of his face. His greatest hits of which there are very many. Then of course there was Womad. Was it once or twice I saw him there? He is nine months older than my Dad and was born in the same month as my Mum. I see some similarities personality wise. It must be that generation.

Comment

Working...
            X