Cover / Other versions that work better than the original !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I lasted about 1 minute
    this is truly dreadful
    I can go with the "man and guitar riding the rails" malarkey
    but the orchestral nonsense ............ please daddy make it stop

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Oh.

The not very well known James Le Rouge doing Fleet Foxes' "Blue Ridge Mountains"

I composed my own piano version of this beautiful work last summer, this is a follow up piece, much more fluid, in keeping with the main harmonies of the pie...

The not very well known Nobu Albatross doing Beethoven Symphony Number 5

http:///nobualbatross.comhttp://www.myspace.com/nobualbatrossfirst of all,I m not a classical guitarist ,been playing it for 6 months.(electric one for 8 yea...

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

I know i'm out of step with the world on these things
        Lord of the Rings is a great series of films and a lousy book
        The Beatles are over rated as is Lou Reed, having great collaborators doesn't make you a great musician
        Paul McCartney is a fraud who pretends not to be able to read music and this has caused terrible damage to many teenagers who follow his example
        Dylan should stick to writing poetry
        Why don't people realise how brilliant Ryoji Ikeda is ?
        Why is Rothko popular yet hardly anyone listens to Feldman ?

etc etc

that's much better now i've got that off my chest !

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

The Beatles are over rated as is Lou Reed, having great collaborators doesn't make you a great musician
          Paul McCartney is a fraud who pretends not to be able to read music and this has caused terrible damage to many teenagers who follow his example
          Why bother about it? Your opinions, if they were to become orthodoxies, would be just as irksome to others as the present orthodoxies are to you. The worst thing is actually having orthodoxies, rather than allowing people to make up their own minds. Isn't it enough that you get pleasure or interest from what you listen to, rather than resenting the pleasure or interest that others find in works you dislike?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Why bother about it? Your opinions, if they were to become orthodoxies, would be just as irksome to others as the present orthodoxies are to you. The worst thing is actually having orthodoxies, rather than allowing people to make up their own minds. Isn't it enough that you get pleasure or interest from what you listen to, rather than resenting the pleasure or interest that others find in works you dislike?
            I think you misunderstand me
            I don't resent anyones pleasure for listening to things I don't like
            actually I don't think that whether you "like" music or not has much to do with whether it's any good or not
            these are not Orthodoxies but some are annoyances rather than resentments
            I was also not really taking myself (or my choice of musics ) seriously at all ...........

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

etc etc

that's much better now i've got that off my chest !
              sometimes its just nice to be out of step !!
              Agree about lou reed........and as for the doors...........please, spare me.

glad dylan wrote as many great tunes as he did.

Why are Echo and the Bunnymen sooooooooo popular (though they are good), when The Sound, one of the great bands, are close to unknown.

fron the album Jeopardy The Sound formed in South London in 1979, shortly after a band called the Outsiders dissolved. It isnt a very well-distributed fact, ...

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mandryka

I hardly listen to Dylan any more, though there was a time when I listened to little else.

I don't think he can be called a 'terrible singer' any more than I think he can be called a 'good singer' - what he is, at his best, is an expressive singer: proof that you don't need a perfect instrument or brilliant technique to get your point across. The phrasing on Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands and all through BOTT is incredible....some of the finest singing (in any genre) I've ever heard.

Hst, he has no voice of any kind these days and he was responsible for the single worst live performance I've ever seen.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I fought the law.

Definitely the best version is by the clash........(sorry Eddie).in fact most kids today think the clash wrote it.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes absolutely right but Eddie should read Bobby of course.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

.......I am starting to think that some of this stuff is purely about generation:

Patti Page - Old Cape Cod with views ofthe beautiful county of Cornwall

versus

http://www.groovearmada.com/ Reminds me of a summer's day on the Solent ing on the beach watching the yachts float by. This is my 2nd video using Windows mo...

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        Yes absolutely right but Eddie should read Bobby of course.
                        of course. Cough Cough.

memory playing tricks. I thought that eddie Grant /The equals wrote it.........I confused myself because the clash of course covered"Police on my back" which WAS an equals song.

Doh.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          The thing (or rather problem !) about Dylan is that he is a good writer but his singing is terrible , its just that he has built up this huge mythology around himself
                          compared to Tom Waits or the great Beefheart there really is no contest

You are right about Lennon and Harrison
                          but we are going to be left with sodding McCartney aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh (you didn't spend your youth on Merseyside !!!!)
                          Harrison was underrated and brilliant
                          Lennon was never working class or a hero but made some great music (Hypothetical, but had he lived, would we still like him
                          McCartney is Ok and has also made some great music and has had financially been able to do what he wanted to do musically over the years - I like a lot of it, apparently you do not that's your choice!
                          Ringo is just Ringo, though reputedly not the best drummer in the world or even the Beatles.

The Beatles were great, but would there musical output have been near what it was without the influence of the other George!

As for Dylan he is a good writer and a good singer, maybe not the best in the world, but certain of his songs, his own interpretation is unsurpassable eg Like a Rolling Stone, others have been interpreted magically by others eg Judy Collins 'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues', Richie Havens 'Just like a Woman'.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Indeed the other George had more than a little influence !
                            and it always helps being able to afford top players for your sessions !

My objection to McCartney is that he plays this stupid "hey man, I don't do all that music notation stuff " , when more or less EVERYTHING he has ever done after the Beatles became popular has had session players sitting there , often in the same room, playing along with him.
                            He is either
                            1: Very lazy and not really interested in music. Surely one would wander over to Alan Civil (ALAN CIVIL FFS !!!!!) and say "hey man" (in the fake scouser twang) "how does that work then ?
                            or
                            2: He is pretending because its "cool"

I find this particularly objectionable not because I think music notation is essential for ALL musics, it isn't. But that it perpetrates a whole heap of myths about music learning.........

(there's also the "Frog Chorus" )

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                              Harrison was underrated and brilliant
                              Yes absolutely. Just glad someone else recognises it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Elgar's Organ Sonata is OK. Gordon Jacob's orchestration of it is superb.

Comment

Working...
                                X