• Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Jul 2024

Parick Collinson:Dead.

PATRICK!
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Yet another person I've never heard of. But once again, thanks for letting me know.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

A vaguely interesting obituary I suppose.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        Yet another person I've never heard of. But once again, thanks for letting me know.
        I'd never heard of "Mr Pee" until arriving here (but then said person is still very much with us, fortunately)...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Now you come to mention it I dimly remember his book on Elizabethan Puritans coming out while I was "doing" that period for my history degree, but I confess I haven't thought about him since.

I do like your obituary column though, keep it up

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Now you come to mention it I dimly remember his book on Elizabethan Puritans coming out while I was "doing" that period for my history degree, but I confess I haven't thought about him since.

I do like your obituary column though, keep it up

Thanks, Richard. I had no personal contact with Collinson, but I've known a few of his ex-students over the years. By all accounts, he made a strong (and always favourable) impression on those he taught, which didn't always translate to his writings, which I can recall finding somewhat dry.

I do wish the Guardian had chosen a different picture for that obit: it looks like he's just been scalded, though I suppose it could be a birthmark.

Also - can someone with 'powers' correct Dr. Collinson's name in the thread title, please? Thanks.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Oh, he's a historian.

Quote from the extract. " A word limit was introduced for lesser folk.."

People who didn't finish their 11 plus? Peasants? The great unlearned?

It's all very grammer school.

3VS

Comment

Working...
              X