• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

In Tune: Dead

Facebook update highlights the passing of this programme to the other side:

Alfie Boe is ready and waiting by the piano to perform on tonight's In Tune, from 4:30pm.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/bbcradio3

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Anna

Just clicking on that link to FB I see, two items down under pic of Sean Fafferty, a Breakfast producer (Jeremy E.) has appeared wearing a smiley. Well, perhaps finally there is some interactivity? Maybe all the FBers here should try and engage him in reasoned discussion?

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Facebook update highlights the passing of this programme to the other side:

Alfie Boe is ready and waiting by the piano to perform on tonight's In Tune, from 4:30pm.
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/bbcradio3

I'd rather listen to an o boe any day.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        I'd rather play a pink oboe, me. myself [with apols to Peter Cook dec'd]

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Don't give up the day job......

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I'd rather play a pink oboe, me. myself [with apols to Peter Cook dec'd]
            Run out of aubergines then, ammy???

Comment

• amateur51

Run out of aubergines then, ammy???
              Just don't tell Mandryka that PC is dec'd or he'll have a conniption fit

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Alfie was tweeting early this morning that he was on the prog and the kissy fans have been gathering ... I have seen the future and ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Just don't tell Mandryka that PC is dec'd or he'll have a conniption fit

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Alfie was tweeting ...and the kissy fans have been gathering ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Just clicking on that link to FB I see, two items down under pic of Sean Fafferty, a Breakfast producer (Jeremy E.) has appeared wearing a smiley. Well, perhaps finally there is some interactivity? Maybe all the FBers here should try and engage him in reasoned discussion?
                      I see someone has put the question to him about the "rationale" behind 'Breakfast'

Comment

• Anna

I see someone has put the question to him about the "rationale" behind 'Breakfast'
                        Well Duckie, it's rumoured that you speak French, so why not pile in there?

Comment

• pilamenon
                          • Nov 2010

Did anyone else hear the duet of Song to the Siren with Robert Plant from his new album "Alfie" (named after his son ). Good to be reminded of that classic song, but I was hoping to hear Plant let rip. He (Alfie) has an okay-ish voice.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

He has returned to say he can add nothing to what Graeme has already said. I posted a bit of that earlier, but I think this is the bit that pertains to Breakfast (I have inserted a paragraph break to make for ease of reading):

"If hypothetically, R3 decides that for only 2.5 hours over a 24-hour period it is going to broadcast generally well-known pieces of classical music, which might have the effect of enabling new listeners to come into the station and share the joy of classical music, as welll as entertaining existing listeners at a time of day when perhaps there are distractions which might make the programming of, say, Bruckner symphonies not, perhaps, the kind of music to which listeners could devote the necessary serious attention, comparing this 2.5 hour period with the rest of the schedule (as I have cordially invited you to do), might not such a policy be a valid response to the fact that, like it or not, classical music in our society is on the radar of fewer people than those of us who love classical music would wish? [A sentence of Proustian proportion: Ed]

I am at a total loss to understand why people would not wish classical music to be more widely known - popular, even - and for R3 to use its schedule and its profile to pursue that aim? Why would Radio 3's 'core audience' - which you so often invoke, although like all of us here you are of course only representing yourself - not wish to encourage the network to do its bit to appeal to the widest possible constituency? We'd all like an entirely personal radio station (in my own case Radio 3's 'A Bach Christmas', along with Frasier on TV, could be on a permanent loop!!) - and I've pointed out that new technology in effect makes this possible - but that could hardly be an acceptable remit for a national radio station funded by national licence payers, could it? bws Graeme"

Of course, the really interesting thing would be to leave the music entirely on one side and ask them to explain the rationale behind the packaging
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I don't suppose Alfie was asked 'what's it all about'?

Comment

Working...
                              X