Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I know there are plenty of good things to come out of the church (The B Minor Mass aint half good as well !)

"If you'd been in Ratzinger's position, what would you have done?" probably not ended up as Pope
    he might be good for the job but it's a bit "see foot, take aim, fire !"

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I'm afraid the last time I went to Hereford was in April, and then just to catch a train North, I haven't been to the Cathedral for years. I see on their webpage that Sir Roy Strong has donated a new set of black vestments to the Cathedral to be worn at certain services. The new vestments were made by Croft Design from Much Wenlock and will be worn for the first time on All Souls Day, on 2 November (today!!) and then on the 13th for remembrance. They do look rather dramatic.
      Well, isn't that nice ?

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

I'm afraid the last time I went to Hereford was in April, and then just to catch a train North
        Ah - on better-to-travel-hopefully-than-Arriva Trens Cymru, one presumes! (far discounts offered to those willing to get out and push, an' all that). Well, I hope that you got at least as far as Leominster. I do accept, however, that getting in and out (preferably out) of Hereford is no easy task, whether by road or rail (and, of course, Hereford International Airport is likely to remain but a figment of the imagination for the foreseeable). It's well worth a visit to Hereford Cathedral, though, now that the past couple of years' refurbishment has been finished (just give the ghastly Green Dragon a miss for a coffee afterwards - it's worse than a neglected retirement home)...

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Nowt wrong with Trenau Arriva Cymru!
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            Nowt wrong with Trenau Arriva Cymru!
            Thanks for correcting the way that I wrote this, but there's always been something wrong with it (i.e. lateness of anything from 10 to almost 60 minutes) whenever I've used it, so I've given up on it some time ago!

So - you "intend to live forever", then? Maybe that's one reason why Trenau Arriva Cymru suits you!

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              . . . Maybe that's one reason why Trenau Arriva Cymru suits you!
              Hadn't thought of that - but sounds reasonable!
              BTW. Who needs Hereford International Airport with Shobdon airport a mere 20 minutes away.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• PhilipT
                • May 2011

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                Now … the Catholic Church is a deistic, hierachical religion.
                No, it isn't. It's theistic, not deistic. For those in need of a refresher course, theists believe in a god (or possibly more than one) who created the world and continues to intervene in its operation. Deists belive in a god (or gods) who created the world and left it running, as it were. If Catholics were deists they'd see no point in intercessory prayers.

umslopogaas - if you're going to be rude about people you don't like you could at least try to get your facts right. Or buy a dictionary. One or the other.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                  • Nov 2010

PhilipT, apologies if I caused offence, I did ponder for some time over whether or not to post that item, but in the end I couldnt resist. I doubt very much a refresher course would do me much good until I'd first had the primary induction course, but I fear life is now too short, and the thought is very yawn-inducing. I shall try and understand the difference you indicate, though not very hard: to one who doesnt believe in God, the difference between a deist and a theist is not enormously important.

I am not, incidentally an atheist, or at least, I would not describe myself as one. Atheism is a belief that there is no God, and is just as much an act of faith as a belief that there is one. I prefer to see myself as a very sceptical agnostic: there might be one, but the evidence is not convincing.

I've got a dictionary.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Hadn't thought of that - but sounds reasonable!
                    BTW. Who needs Hereford International Airport with Shobdon airport a mere 20 minutes away.
                    I do! As you know, Shobdon caters only for such things as flying lessons and the odd bit of freight. There's also a disused airfield at Madley, much nearer where I am, but i think that it's now in the process of being developed for some purpose otgher than flying.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

So - you "intend to live forever", then? Maybe that's one reason why Trenau Arriva Cymru suits you!
                      Reading back, I assumed that the highlighted words represented some aspect of dogma of the Catholic Church in Wales...

I gather now it means Welsh Rail ??

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Ah - on better-to-travel-hopefully-than-Arriva Trens Cymru, one presumes! (far discounts offered to those willing to get out and push, an' all that). Well, I hope that you got at least as far as Leominster.
                        Well, I got the Hereford to Manchester Piccadilly train and according to the timetable I then had 7 minutes on arrival at Manchester to disembark, change platforms and get the Trans-Pennine Express (sounds far more glamorous than it is) but good old Arriva pulled in right on time so I got my connection. Dim problemi, as usual with Arriva! At least when I travel with them ....

Madley - that's just spy satellites isn't it?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Reading back, I assumed that the highlighted words represented some aspect of dogma of the Catholic Church in Wales...

I gather now it means Welsh Rail ??

Not quite; it means the train "service" provided in, from and to Wales by Arriva, an organisation whose parent company is Deutsche Bahn and whose blurb claims that it is "one of the world’s leading passenger and logistics service providers" and has "a presence in 12 European countries" (although whether that figure counts Wales and England as two separate countries I'm not certain).

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Well, I got the Hereford to Manchester Piccadilly train and according to the timetable I then had 7 minutes on arrival at Manchester to disembark, change platforms and get the Trans-Pennine Express (sounds far more glamorous than it is) but good old Arriva pulled in right on time so I got my connection. Dim problemi, as usual with Arriva! At least when I travel with them....
                            Welsh luck, I call that, look you!

Madley - that's just spy satellites isn't it?
                            Not entirely, no; part of that site is a BT international satellite centre (that has little upon which to spy besides the local cows) but the remainder of it, which has been disused for some years, is now, as I mentioned, being redeveloped, though as and for what I have no idea.

No, if I have to get in and out of Hereford to go any distance I either use the road or First Great Western, although the sheer paucity of services provided by that company from Hereford usually makes it a pretty hopeless option, actually. I bin yurr far too long, isn' it?

Comment

• arancie33
                              • Jan 2011

(just give the ghastly Green Dragon a miss for a coffee afterwards - it's worse than a neglected retirement home)...
                              Ah, The Green Dragon Stayed there once - never again. Anyway, it's not so far from the cathedral to The Volunteer. I can't vouch for the coffee but the beer's good

Comment

• Anna

No, if I have to get in and out of Hereford to go any distance I either use the road or First Great Western, although the sheer paucity of services provided by that company from Hereford usually makes it a pretty hopeless option, actually. I bin yurr far too long, isn' it?
                                Well, if I go south it is via Casnewydd of course via an omnibus and then, forward! onwards and upwards! with First Great Western via Bath to Southampton Central and then Brighton!

"actually. I bin yurr far too long, isn' it?" Probably Duckie <'as 'e been up in't forest?>)

Comment

Working...
                                X