• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    ????? What question?

It's certainly not a very enlightening answer to the one in the thread heading...
    Not to anyone of sufficient pedantic inclination and insufficient sense of humour as to render him/her incapable of detecting that "no" in this context effectively means "neither", I suppose - but it's all these people with goats that get my goat (or rather would do if I possessed one); I happen to be allergic to - and dislike - all goats' dairy produce, so I confess that my very view of goats is thereby influenced...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Not to anyone of sufficient pedantic inclination and insufficient sense of humour as to render him/her incapable of detecting that "no" in this context effectively means "neither", I suppose - but it's all these people with goats that get my goat (or rather would do if I possessed one); I happen to be allergic to - and dislike - all goats' dairy produce, so I confess that my very view of goats is thereby influenced...
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 01-11-11, 13:44.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I've always been a fervent Royalist. They do of a lot of good work behind the scenes that goes unoticed. Also they bring the tourists in to!!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Sydney Grew
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          . . . it does on the face of it appear to be undemocratic . . .
          - Your point being?

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Also they bring the tourists in to!!
            Do they? I've always found it a bit strange that substantial number of people are supposed to visit a country because it's a monarchy rather than a republic. I suspect that most foreign tourists would be visiting anyway for other reasons. If it's the pomp and ceremony they come to see then that could always be continued.

Anyhow, think of the revenue that could be generated by opening up all of the royal residences to the public.
            Steve

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I've always been a fervent Royalist. They do of a lot of good work behind the scenes that goes unoticed. Also they bring the tourists in to!!
              In this case "where words fail,music speaks !"
              I'm assuming you are referring to the great John Lydon ?
              Sooner we get the joint presidency of Palin (Not THAT one !!!!!) and Lumley the better as far as I'm concerned

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                Do they? I've always found it a bit strange that substantial number of people are supposed to visit a country because it's a monarchy rather than a republic. I suspect that most foreign tourists would be visiting anyway for other reasons. If it's the pomp and ceremony they come to see then that could always be continued.

Anyhow, think of the revenue that could be generated by opening up all of the royal residences to the public.
                Tourists would still come to this country if they were stuffed - royalty, I mean - and put on display in Madame Tussauds. Egypt is a good example; I think it's called Pyramid sales...

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                  - Your point being?
                  That it appears on the face of it to be undemocratic; which bit of that requires further elucidation?

Comment

• umslopogaas
                    • Nov 2010

#8 by Mary Chambers, that's a reference to '1066 and all that' by Sellars and Yeatman, in my view one of the funniest books in the english language. Just in case there's someone who didnt get it, here's a quote from page 63 of my father's copy, which he got for a Christmas present in 1930, within a couple of months of its appearance. It is Sellars and Yeatman's take on the Civil War.

" ... the utterly memorable struggle between the Cavaliers (Wrong but Wromantic) and the Roundheads (Right but Repulsive).

Charles I was a Cavalier King and therefore had a small pointed beard, long flowing curls, a large flat flowing hat and gay attire. The Roundheads on the other hand, were clean-shaven and wore tall conical hats, white ties and sombre garments. Under these circumstances a Civil War was inevitable."

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I was once told that if one dies intestate with no dependents, your estate goes automatically to the Duchy of Cornwall. Perhaps a lawyerly member could advise on the truth of this.
                      After posting a response to this, it also occurred to me to ponder upon this seemingly rather odd state of affairs as follows. As all the IHT (Inheritance Tax) avoidance and mitigation arrangments (i.e. legal ones and those enshrined in IHT law, not illegally evasive ones!) are geared to ensure that, when appropriately used, as much as possible remains within the Estate for distribution by its executor/s in accordance with the deceased's Will and as little as possible confiscated by HM Treasury, why is it that Estates of deceased intestate persons without any relatives go to the Duchy of Cornwall rather than to HM Treasury? I do not know who set up this arrangement how, when or on what grounds; does anyone here know anythng about this?
                      Last edited by ahinton; 31-10-11, 16:37.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... I think that it's only if you die intestate in Cornwall / on estates owned by the Duchy of Cornwall that this dispensation applies...

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... I think that it's only if you die intestate in Cornwall / on estates owned by the Duchy of Cornwall that this dispensation applies...

www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tsemmanual/tsem7830.htm
                          Ah, well done! - and very many thanks for this vital nugget of information from the horse's mouth, so to speak; I'd either not appreciated or long since forgotten that and it largely answers my question, except that I still wonder why there should be any exceptions to such estates' values being returned to the Cown (in the form of HM Treasury) and how, when, why and at whose behest these two specific exceptional arrangements were (presumably) debated and then implemented.

Comment

• amateur51

I've always been a fervent Royalist. They do of a lot of good work behind the scenes that goes unoticed.
                            If it goes unnoticed, does it make a noise in a forest etc?

Comment

• PatrickOD

Ah, Calum, it's dangerous waters you're getting into, but it's nice to see the question being asked in a different context from the one I'm used to.
                              It's an old story, isn't it? Reminds me of the one about King James and King William of Orange. When the latter arrived at Carrickfergus to take on the Catholic James and all his rebel clans, an old royalist - loyalist - boatman had the honour to row him ashore.
                              'Who do you think is going to win, your majesty?' he slyly asked.
                              'It doesn't matter to you who wins', he graciously replied. 'You'll still be rowing the boat.'

But, at least, the boatman has a chance of becoming head of state in a real republic.

Comment

• scottycelt

God save us, never mind Ma'am, from having to elect another totally incompetent and self-serving Plebeian git as President of a UK Republic!

Prince Charles has had proper breeding to continue the excellent job that Ma'am does, even though, like Ma'am herself, he is an imposter and therefore otherwise thorough bounder.

I don't fancy the idea of having to kowtow to 'moderns' like William 'n' Kate one little bit, even from the grave, so when Charlie pops his clogs, get rid of the current obnoxious anti-Catholic establishment (both religious and secular) and restore the Stuarts to their rightful ascendancy and everyone will live happily ever after ...

Comment

Working...
                                X