• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    The Guardian obituary hits the correct note, I feel:
    I agree, but I'm not sure that it would lead me to think JS had "equal gold and dark" in his personality, Mandy. A "ruthless streak" is probably true of most "famous" people - no evidence of his having done anyone any harm in the article. An unusually close affection for his mother? Not something I'd understand personally, but suggesting "darkness"? A lonely/private man with few close friends? Sad, perhaps, but "dark"? If there were malicious elements to his personality, he seems to have done commendably well in keeping them where they belonged: in the recesses of his psyche, channeling them into astonishing acts of public benevolence (£30 million raised for Charities - other obits have said £40 million - over a lifetime merits considerable respect).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I agree, but I'm not sure that it would lead me to think JS had "equal gold and dark" in his personality, Mandy. A "ruthless streak" is probably true of most "famous" people - no evidence of his having done anyone any harm in the article. An unusually close affection for his mother? Not something I'd understand personally, but suggesting "darkness"? A lonely/private man with few close friends? Sad, perhaps, but "dark"? If there were malicious elements to his personality, he seems to have done commendably well in keeping them where they belonged: in the recesses of his psyche, channeling them into astonishing acts of public benevolence (£30 million raised for Charities - other obits have said £40 million - over a lifetime merits considerable respect).
      Indeed. That he did a lot of good is beyond dispute. The Guardian article does hint at an uncharted side to him and Savile himself dropped heavy hints about his past as a 'godfather' on the Leeds nightclub scene. Then there was Louis Theroux's notorious documentary, which failed to lay any real punches on J.S.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

"A man who divided opinion without ever appearing to care much what anyone thought of him, he was simply an odd chap." DT Obit.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
          Indeed. That he did a lot of good is beyond dispute. The Guardian article does hint at an uncharted side to him and Savile himself dropped heavy hints about his past as a 'godfather' on the Leeds nightclub scene. Then there was Louis Theroux's notorious documentary, which failed to lay any real punches on J.S.
          Still, you're having a good try, aren't you, Mandy? On a previous thread I speculated that you could only find good things to say about people when they were dead. Clearly I was wrong.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            ... but it seems so unnatural to be reading ... The Guardian...
            Indeed, indeed.

-=-=-=-=-=-

And as for doing a gig on the old QEII - wow! - I'd be fascinated to hear more about what life was like in that environment, BBM! Maybe another thread...?

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I saw Jimmy's show once.

It had Kylie on it.

It was good.

3VS

Comment

Working...
              X