X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Jul 2024

Jimmy Savile: Dead.

Former DJ, television presenter and charity fundraiser Sir Jimmy Savile, whose entertainment career spanned more than three decades, has died, aged 84.
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Oh dear!! What a terrible challenge. I could say so much. Better that I pass for the moment.

Comment

• Mandryka

I suspect he will be remembered as a man whose heart was composed in equal parts of gold and darkness.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        I suspect he will be remembered as a man whose heart was composed in equal parts of gold and darkness.
        Equal parts of darkness? That's a bit dramatic isn't it? To be honest I thought he'd died long ago, was surprised he wasn't in his nineties or older. He did a lot of work for charity though, don't think there was any whiff of scandal in his life, just an eccentric loner.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Equal parts of darkness? That's a bit dramatic isn't it? To be honest I thought he'd died long ago, was surprised he wasn't in his nineties or older. He did a lot of work for charity though, don't think there was any whiff of scandal in his life, just an eccentric loner.
          There were more than a few whiffs of scandal, Anna, though I think his eccentricity may have made him vulnerable to some charges.

Comment

• Simon

Fortunately, on the main news pages of my ISP, the two or three pages of comment - out of dozens - that I've glanced at have all been respectful, positive and, it appears, made with genuine sadness at the passing of what many have described as a wonderfully decent man. That includes posts from some who worked with him.

So, as regards the "whiffs of scandal" that have been mentioned on here, have you evidence? If so, justify your comments. If not, withdraw them.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

A quick look on the net suggest there's a whiff of something pretty nasty about the sources of these so-called 'scandals', so perhaps we can leave this investigation for another time.

Thank you.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

I know nothing in particular about Sir Jimmy, and all I have heard is good - much good, from many people. So it saddens me that his memory is immediately sullied on here without any justification. He's not been dead a day and this happens. Poor show.

Comment

• handsomefortune

"When Louis Theroux Met...Jimmy"

broadcast 13 april 2000 ...louis visits his childhood hero – 73-year-old Jimmy Savile OBE, the miner who became a TV and radio star.

....was a fair programme about this particular star (i thought).

incidentally, i'm suprised r3 mornings are currently considered complete, without impersonations of js! but perhaps i'm ahead of myself, and that's planned for after halloween!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                    "When Louis Theroux Met...Jimmy"

broadcast 13 april 2000 ...louis visits his childhood hero – 73-year-old Jimmy Savile OBE, the miner who became a TV and radio star.

....was a fair programme about this particular star (i thought).

incidentally, i'm suprised r3 mornings are currently considered complete, without impersonations of js! but perhaps i'm ahead of myself, and that's planned for after halloween!

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      Fortunately, on the main news pages of my ISP, the two or three pages of comment - out of dozens - that I've glanced at have all been respectful, positive and, it appears, made with genuine sadness at the passing of what many have described as a wonderfully decent man. That includes posts from some who worked with him.

So, as regards the "whiffs of scandal" that have been mentioned on here, have you evidence? If so, justify your comments. If not, withdraw them.
                      Perhaps you should survey a wider range of obituaries rather than just seeing what you want to see.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Why would one wish to scour the obituaries looking for scandal? If it interests you, I'm sure it will be rooted out by the scandal sheets in the coming days and weeks - I would prefer it to be there than here just at the moment.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mandryka

The Guardian obituary hits the correct note, I feel:

Last edited by Guest; 29-10-11, 22:32. Reason: typo.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                            The Guardian obitaury hits the correct note, I feel:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...r-jimmy-savile
                            I've just read it, but it seems so unnatural to be reading a new issue of The Guardian on a Saturday night. Far better to follow all those previous generations and read it over breakfast on Monday!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I met him once. Very nice man. I was doing a gig on the old QE2. that ballroom on there was a magnificent room. Always smiling and a good crack to! Much missed.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X