You're Controller R3: what are the first and last things you'd do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

In the fantastic event of AMcG taking over as Controller, I'd go for either Swain or Handley taking over CDR. Just so long as it was not yet another programme fronted by Rob Cowan - is he taking over R3? On every day last week, and both days this weekend.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

I would reintroduce CD Masters,Discovering Music,Sounds Interesting (70's? rock music programme),do away with tweetering whatever its called and play only complete works.Also maybe have a programme at least once a week devoted to neglected British symphonies!

Comment

• spasuit

Radio 3 controller

The complete works of Shakespeare in NEW productions, alternating each Sunday with new productions of European classic drama and an archive slot each week for a drama from the archives.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          In the fantastic event of AMcG taking over as Controller, I'd go for either Swain or Handley taking over CDR. Just so long as it was not yet another programme fronted by Rob Cowan - is he taking over R3? On every day last week, and both days this weekend.
          er yes, but on Breakfast he did 3 weeks in 5 so he is doing less on weekdays now. Plus he knows more than most of the rest of them put together.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by spasuit View Post
            The complete works of Shakespeare in NEW productions, alternating each Sunday with new productions of European classic drama and an archive slot each week for a drama from the archives.
            YES! (One of my "Tuesday Things" was to introduce an occasional series of non-English Literature performances/readings in their original language. It's verging on the obscene that, with so many channels and so much "choice" there's no opportunity to hear the actual words written by Goethe, or Moliere, or Dostoevsky etc etc etc .... )
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

RC goes from doing a stint of Breakfasts to this last week of Essential Classics, on both Sat / Sun this weekend, and does the Dvorak BAL today, Saturday, has he not?

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                YES! (One of my "Tuesday Things" was to introduce an occasional series of non-English Literature performances/readings in their original language. It's verging on the obscene that, with so many channels and so much "choice" there's no opportunity to hear the actual words written by Goethe, or Moliere, or Dostoevsky etc etc etc .... )
                I'd love to hear more OE and ME on R3: how about a series of Chaucer Tales read in ME? Why not make a BIG thing out of the whole Medieval LIt field, plus choice bits of OE?

Comment

• Anna

I'd get rid of the Saturday Live from The Met and replace it with Jazz Library or Drama on 3.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

The whole Juntwait / Siff duo was / is totally nauseating, but I fear, the BBC seem to be on the verge of copying it with interviews backstage / before during and after concerts / operas. I do hope this stops..........please!!!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

but I fear, the BBC seem to be on the verge of copying it with interviews backstage / before during and after concerts / operas. I do hope this stops..........please!!!
                      I do feel that 'moving with the times' means no more than 'moving with the fashion'. X introduces something new today, Y follows suit tomorrow. Next thing it becomes 'how things are done'. In terms of on-air content, I'm trying to think of any innovations adopted by R3 that haven't been done for years, especially in the, generally speaking, 'pop world'.

If I were R3 controller, first thing I'd do is abandon 'stripping' and music magazine style, and return to the shorter, individually built programmes.

Last thing: extend listener participation.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        If I were R3 controller, first thing I'd do is abandon 'stripping' and music magazine style, and return to the shorter, individually built programmes.
                        There was a lovely short programme on R4 today about Parry's "I am Glad" I'd like to hear more like that on R3. 30 mins isn't a lot once a week is it?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          There was a lovely short programme on R4 today about Parry's "I am Glad" I'd like to hear more like that on R3. 30 mins isn't a lot once a week is it?
                          R4 seems to have cornered the market in these serendipitous programmes. (Did you mean you were glad, btw?) Yes, little programmes like that tucked in here and there.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            R4 seems to have cornered the market in these serendipitous programmes. (Did you mean you were glad, btw?) Yes, little programmes like that tucked in here and there.
                            Yes, I am glad, not were, not am, or is, or about to be glad. Yes, I am definitely glad!! I think I was.

The Director of Music for the forthcoming coronation of King Edward VII contacted Parry with this request and Parry's resulting setting of Psalm 122 remains one of the great pieces of Anglican ceremonial music. It's been a favourite at Coronations and it was played at Westminster Abbey earlier this year when Catherine Middleton processed up the aisle to meet Prince William.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Guest; 30-10-11, 00:21.

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

I'd love to hear more OE and ME on R3: how about a series of Chaucer Tales read in ME? Why not make a BIG thing out of the whole Medieval LIt field, plus choice bits of OE?
                              DracoM

I think what it would need though is some kind of digital running translation so that people listening could follow the sense - there aren't so many people fluent in Old English

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

More on serious brass and wind band music. A seperate regular series.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X