X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Jul 2024

Mark Kingston: Dead

Mark Kingston, who has died aged 77, created many West End roles in his 50-odd years on stage — notably the lecturer, Frank, who taught Julie Walters in Educating Rita, by Willie Russell, and Reg in the Alan Ayckbourn trilogy The Norman Conquests .
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Oh goody- another Mandryka Dead thread. We haven't had nearly enough of these recently.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

The name means nothing to me but I liked this bit from his obit:

"Mark Kingston was born on April 18 1934 in Deptford, into a close-knit working-class family; his father was a blacksmith who helped with the construction of Mulberry harbours after D-Day; his mother packed biscuits for Peek Frean’s. Educated at Greenwich Central School, Mark claimed to have seldom opened a book; rather, he loved football and became a junior boxing champion.

At the age of 15, however, he met a teacher, Tom Love, who changed his life. Love taught literature through drama, and introduced him to plays, poetry and Shakespeare, leading Mark to discover a passion for acting. He became a clerk in a shipping office and went to evening classes at Toynbee Hall, studying acting..."

Even from the least promising beginnings ..
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Was he famous or 'great'? Because, if so, I've found someone born on my birthday at last.

Comment

• Mandryka

Salymap - no, not famous, beyond regular West End theatregoers. He created the part of Frank in Willy Russell's Educating Rita and was Reg in the London premiere of Ayckbourn's Norman Conequests. Rep goers in Birmingham during the 50s/early 60s have very strong memories of him as a stalwart of Barry Jackson's company there.

FF - yes, I thought that was inspiring, too. As I remember, from the little I saw him do, MK had a very warm, sympathetic quality as an actor which transmitted well across the footlights.

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

When I was a student I saw him a number of times at Chichester Festival Theatre where he was popular and a regular player.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

<<and went to evening classes at Toynbee Hall>>

Evening enrichment, indeed. This is how people from less privileged backgrounds moved on while working. These days we simply over-educate and it is my view that it makes more sense to go back to a world of early school leaving and a chance to gain some experience of life. Then that person can return to the educational fold when they have the appetite and apititude for it.

** That general point aside, my dad was more than chuffed when the director Mike Ockrent wanted him to take over the role of the lecturer in Educating Rita from Mark Kingston at the Fortune Theatre where it had transferred from the RSC. Kingston had had a terrific critical hit with the part and without question Dad held him in very high regard. So, as they say, he was delighted to be asked, but in the end he declined.

Stepping into the shoes of a role creator can be a thankless task and I suspect he felt there was nothing he could add to the part, and possibly, a feeling that he could not have adequately replaced Kingston.

*** Poor Mike Ockrent. I can see him in Dad's study chatting away when he'd come to the house to discuee the above. Somehow, I had invited myself to sit in on their discussion. A higly successful director (as well as Educating Rita ... Once A Catholic, Me and My Girl, Crazy For You and Follies) who was taken by Leukaemia in his early 50s.
              Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 27-10-11, 23:18.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                <<and went to evening classes at Toynbee Hall>>

Evening enrichment, indeed. This is how people from less privileged backgrounds moved on while working. These days we simply over-educate and it is my view that it makes more sense to go back to a world of early school leaving and a chance to gain some experience of life. Then that person can return to the educational fold when they have the appetite and apititude for it.

** That general point aside, my dad was more than chuffed when the director Mike Ockrent wanted him to take over the role of the lecturer in Educating Rita from Mark Kingston at the Fortune Theatre where it had transferred from the RSC. Kingston had had a terrific critical hit with the part and without question Dad held him in very high regard. So, as they say, he was delighted to be asked, but in the end he declined.

Stepping into the shoes of a role creator can be a thankless task and I suspect he felt there was nothing he could add to the part, and possibly, a feeling that he could not have adequately replaced Kingston.

*** Poor Mike Ockrent. I can see him in Dad's study chatting away when he'd come to the house to discuee the above. Somehow, I had invited myself to sit in on their discussion. A higly successful director (as well as Educating Rita ... Once A Catholic, Me and My Girl, Crazy For You and Follies) who was taken by Leukaemia in his early 50s.
                Yes, Mike Ockrent.....directors tend to be forgotten even more quickly than actors. I always imagine he must have been surprised to become so hugely successful via musicals/the West End etc, when he'd spend his formative years at the RSC and the Glasgow Citizens (I think).

Comment

Working...
                X