• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Adrian Berg - expired

Adrian Berg - among the English painters, and former Regent's Park resident - expired this week-end at Brighton.

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/academicians/painters/adrian-berg-ra,162,AR.html
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Alban Berg - Inspired.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Anita Ekberg- Retired.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Schön berg - dead (or was in 1952 or thereabouts, according to Maître Boulez) -only he isn't, of course...

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Schön berg - dead (or was in 1952 or thereabouts, according to Maître Boulez) -only he isn't, of course...
          Yes he is. He died in 1951.

Whatever you're on, ahinton, can I have some?

On second thought, perhaps not.......
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Dickie Bird - Umpired.

(There's a guy who works in a chip shop swears he's Schönberg.)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Iceberg - spired

(well some of them are)

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                Yes he is. He died in 1951.
                Read my post again; I was, of course, using the term "dead" in thespecific sense in which PB used it in his long ago diatribe (since when, of course, he has done much in his capacity as a conductor to promote the music of the Austrian composer) and, for the avoidance of doubt and in the interests of understanding (even from you), Sch(you-know-who) - in the sense of his music - is still very much alive and far more widely appreciated - indeed, rather more so than in the days of Boulez's pronouncement. I was already well aware of the year of his death, actually.

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                Whatever you're on, ahinton, can I have some?
                No. In any case, what makes you think that you could afford it?

By the way, have you noticed a couple of passages in Gurrelieder that could almost have been written by Elgar? - and the rising of Die Sonne from the same work that sounds as though influenced by the beginning of Praise to the Holiest from you know what?

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Telegraph obituary:

Adrian Berg, who has died aged 82, was one of the most gifted post-war British landscape painters.

A note may be drawn therefrom for Mr. Hinton, so concerned for constancy of nomenclature: "He [Berg] would, for example, with his friend and fellow artist, Paul Huxley, invent alternative surnames for his contemporaries. Howard Hodgkin became Howard Splodgkin and Patrick Caulfield became Patrick Cornflake."

And in reference to this question: "What do you actually do in the studio?" I can respond: he listened to the Third Programme (and, more recently, "Radio Three") all day long.
                  Last edited by Sydney Grew; 28-10-11, 00:58.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Silas Tomkyn Comberbache: “What is your daily routine?”

Adrian Berg: “I try to avoid repeating the previous day’s mistakes.”

STC: “What do you actually do in the studio?”

AB: “Practically nothing. I heard a programme lately about some nuns who passed all their time in prayer and depended on charity for food, and it seemed that we had something in common.”
                    .. an inspiration to us all Mr Grew especially since he was a silver spooned toff and a diligent worker ... rare combination these days .. his diffident arrogance is a model for such as Rees Mogg Jr who would be well advised to learn to disguise his toffiness
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                    X