X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    But if within a group carrying out legal activities there are a minority who are planning illegal activities, then Special Branch/MI5 have a duty to investigate.

This level of suspicion puts us all at risk. The assumption should be that any legitimate, legal, group campaigning on a particular issue will act legally. If they act in such a way that they might break the law, that should be dealt with through the normal chanels. It has also been the case that under-cover police officers have acted as agents provocateurs, promoting actions which may be illegal

Those who are not involved in anything illegal have no need to worry.
    Weasel words that could come from any totalitarian government.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves
      Or come out with fatuous Stasi comments then we might take you seriously.
      The East German secret police operated through a network of agents who informed on their neighbours & family. Somewhat similar to that nice Dave Cameron's encouraging us to inform on illegal immigrants - which will result in people who are living here quite legitimately being visited by the police at the crack of dawn. hauled out of their beds & bundled down to the police station, or worse.

I don't think Am's comparison is at all fatuous (unlike most of Mr P's)

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        The East German secret police operated through a network of agents who informed on their neighbours & family. Somewhat similar to that nice Dave Cameron's encouraging us to inform on illegal immigrants - which will result in people who are living here quite legitimately being visited by the police at the crack of dawn. hauled out of their beds & bundled down to the police station, or worse.

I don't think Am's comparison is at all fatuous (unlike most of Mr P's)
        I would most certainly inform the police if I thought there were any illegal immigrants nearby. That's not the STASI, it's simply the duty of any law-abiding citizen. And the authorities can soon check whether they're here legitimately or not, before they need take any further action.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

I think he watches far too many episodes of Spooks

how they manage to cut out the sound of Trinity College of Music always amazes me
          great audio engineering
          MrP there is a great John Cooper Clarke rant about your attitudes but modesty prevents me from printing it
          but suffice to say its title rhymes with Cat and Hat i'm sure you can find it using the magic box that I find most useful (you might need to forward a link to the prof as his computer seems unable to find things he knows nothing about )

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

I would most certainly inform the police if I thought there were any illegal immigrants nearby.
            & how would you decide that they were illegal?

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Those who are not involved in anything illegal have no need to worry.
              "First they came for the communists,
              and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
              and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
              and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
              and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

& how would you decide that they were illegal?
                Its obvious
                ALL non white people are obviously illegal immigrants who have come to steal the nations wealth
                such faith in the plod defies the historical context

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

"First they came for the communists,
                  and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
                  and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
                  and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
                  and there was no one left to speak out for me."
                  A mantra that is regularly trotted out by the naive and the deluded, and 99% of the time, as here, it is totally irrelevant. More than that, it demeans the fate of those who have genuinely suffered under totalitarian regimes.

Pathetic and predictable.......
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    Its obvious
                    ALL non white people are obviously illegal immigrants who have come to steal the nations wealth
                    such faith in the plod defies the historical context
                    Good Grief. They're all out tonight. I thought Halloween was next week???

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Do you REALLY believe mrP that only those who have done wrong have EVER been investigated by the Police ?
                      so all that fuss about the Irish guys in Birmingham was made up by the lefty press ?
                      I've worked in prisons and , of course, everyone you meet is a victim of a miscarriage of justice
                      BUT some people REALLY ARE
                      and in recent years I seem to remember the police shooting dead an innocent man at Stockwell and walking completely free with NO prosecution

naive and deluded would be a rather accurate description of someone who has so much trust !

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

I'm sure this has been said before

A JOKE is when you say something funny
                        and OTHER PEOPLE laugh
                        not
                        When you say something that you think is funny and YOU laugh

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Oh dear..you really don't get it, do you?

I have tried to make allowances for you .... I will also do the same and check back after you have spent a couple of years in Middle School and see if you have grown-up a little bit.
                          Does being insufferably patronising come naturally to you, or do you practise in front of a mirror?

PS: patronise (verb, transitive): To assume a tone of unjustified superiority
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

A mantra that is regularly trotted out by the naive and the deluded, and 99% of the time, as here, it is totally irrelevant. More than that, it demeans the fate of those who have genuinely suffered under totalitarian regimes.

Pathetic and predictable.......
                            As all your 'contributions' here tend to be.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

snide ????

"the left?"

Hooray all we need is the Prof for the whole of the academic staff to be here !
                              don't make assumptions about peoples "politics" based on a discredited way of viewing the world as being divided into "left" and "right" it ISN'T anymore (if it ever was in the first place !)

now please excuse me I have some Wagner to attend to (and other Marxist persuits )

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

I started this thread in a genuine attempt to try and understand what all the fuss was about.
                                & have you understood & learnt anything? I don't think so, from the evidence of your subsequent posts.

...Flosshilde with a twee poem. .
                                Don't you recognise it? You can learn a bit of its history here -
                                Encyclopedia of Jewish and Israeli history, politics and culture, with biographies, statistics, articles and documents on topics from anti-Semitism to Zionism.

It would be nice to have a proper discussion without them coming out with the same old...same old.
                                Yes, it would, but since you & your friends (Mr P prominently) come out with the same old same old, & don't even accept or acknowledge the facts when they are presented to you (cf my pointing out that it's not the Guardian getting upset, but the legal community) it's not going to be possible, is it? So I don't think I'll bother trying in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X