Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

well, i am not an expert. But i would assume, if this was a proper "undercover " operation, with a genuine cause and need, (ie not a set up by agents provocateurs or similar), that by the time something gets to court, (which they often don't due to evidence rules and incompetence), that the need for cover names etc has then gone.
    Just an assumption. And probably a bit naive.
    the alternative seems to me to be having undecover officers producing "evidence" in court without even the security for defence of knowing who is actually providing the evidence., and the same officers doing this yrear after year, case after case. Very dangerous
    As I said, I think or hope that justice would be better served by a generally truthful approach...and I am far from clear how truthful the govt led undercover approach is. Seems to me that too often (EG in northern ireland) the govt and its undercover ops cause as much terrorism as they solve.

And if you want an example of govt dishonesty, just look at iraq and its non existent weapons of mass destruction.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I know that militant cyclists can be an irritating crowd but I find it difficult to believe that they warrant an undercover policeman. It all seems very strange indeed.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        I know that militant cyclists can be an irritating crowd but I find it difficult to believe that they warrant an undercover policeman. It all seems very strange indeed.
        and from a safety point of view, they need to be hi viz, rather than undercover.
        though the bikes need to be kept unde cover.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
          Or would the Guardian prefer that we don't carry out any undercover operations at all?
          I don't know about the Guardian, but I would prefer that the police (& 'security' 'services') didn't carry out covert spying & surveillance on people engaged in legal activities.

Comment

• amateur51

Just the Guardian eh, BTS?

The demands came after it was revealed detective constable Jim Boyling (pictured), gave evidence under a false name during the trial of environmental activists he had infiltrated.

FOR MORE than five years, Jim ‘The Van’ Sutton was one of Britain’s leading eco-warriors. Or so it seemed. He was an undercover police officer called Jim Boyling.

Senior police chiefs authorised undercover police officers to give false evidence in court to protect their cover as environmental protesters, it was claimed last night.

Perhaps you've forgotten too that HM Inspectorate of Constabulary has delayed the publication of its report into undercover policing after a BBC investigation uncovered claims an officer underwent trial using his operational alias.

That's some sort of serious, I'd say

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I think that if you read even just the headline, bts, you'll find that it's not the Guardian but lawyers who are 'getting their knickers in a twist; or, expressing quite reasonable concerns about the role of undercover police officers and the dubious practice of instructing solicitors & giving evidence while masquerading under a false identity. Nobody else would be permitted to do such a thing.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                I don't know about the Guardian, but I would prefer that the police (& 'security' 'services') didn't carry out covert spying & surveillance on people engaged in legal activities.
                But if within a group carrying out legal activities there are a minority who are planning illegal activities, then Special Branch/MI5 have a duty to investigate. Those who are not involved in anything illegal have no need to worry.
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  But if within a group carrying out legal activities there are a minority who are planning illegal activities, then Special Branch/MI5 have a duty to investigate. Those who are not involved in anything illegal have no need to worry.
                  So you really do mean you can't see any problems with having the Stasi operating in Merrie England then, Mr Pee?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Y'know, when Mrs Teamsaint was in hospital having the first little Teamsaint, the conversation turned to Nelson Mandela. (odd for a maternity ward but there you go ).
                    Anyway classsic quote from one of the new mothers, " He must have done something wrong to be put in prison".
                    Or maybe mr Pee is right, the innocent don't need to worry about dubious police and and government activity.Nice and simple.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves
                      But that is my point. Why is it 'sort of serious'? Did you not read any of my earlier posts? And please don't give your usual facile flip response. A well reasoned argument would be appreciated by us all.
                      Likewise, BTS.

That's exactly the point. Even Her Maj's Constab can see what you & SuperSimon can't - their cover is blown & they look at best stupid and incompetent and at worst people that the general public should fear, with good reason.

And don't patronise me, please BTS

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        So you really do mean you can't see any problems with having the Stasi operating in Merrie England then, Mr Pee?
                        Stasi? For goodness sake.....

If the security services, for example, suspect that a terror cell may be operating from a Mosque, then I would sincerely hope that they would put said Mosque under surveillance and if possible recruit an informer or infiltrate the congregation.

If it turns out their suspicions were unfounded, then all well and good. If not, then a terrorist outrage may just be prevented. It's a win win situation.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                          I agree that this is the point - a question of proportionality surely?. The risk averse police are prone to over-reaction so that a tactic more appropriate to countering a serious threat is undermined by usage where the threat really does not warrant it. Moreover, undercover activity is probably better deployed where prosecution is not necessarily the end game (although sometimes it may not be possible to avoid this). In recent years politicians have pushed for prosecutions because of the kudos whereas disruption and/or prevention may be more appropriate. But then there is no publicity so no kudos to claim.

Comment

• amateur51

Stasi? For goodness sake.....

If the security services, for example, suspect that a terror cell may be operating from a Mosque, then I would sincerely hope that they would put said Mosque under surveillance and if possible recruit an informer or infiltrate the congregation.

If it turns out their suspicions were unfounded, then all well and good. If not, then a terrorist outrage may just be prevented. It's a win win situation.
                            Terror cells? Mosques? Oh dear, the sound of goal-posts being moved!

Comment

• amateur51

Where did it say that their cover was blown?

Patronise? Perhaps if you didn't make simple one word posts then one would not feel the need to patronise. Or come out with fatuous Stasi comments then we might take you seriously.
                              OK, explain to me why you think that my using Stasi is fatuous, please.

Comment

• amateur51

Oh dear..you really don't get it, do you? Here we are trying to have a sensible discussion and your first two posts are single word flip comments. Schoolboy humour at it's worst. How do these two single words contribute to the general discussion or common good? Or is the sole purpose to give you a smug sense of thinking that you are a clever-clogs? Never mind.

Here is the dictionary definition of fatuous

fat·u·ous   [fach-oo-uhs] Show IPA
                                adjective
                                foolish or inane, especially in an unconscious, complacent manner; silly.

To suggest that our police force is anything like the Stasi is fatuous.

I have tried to make allowances for you but can now see why Simon has you on ignore. I will also do the same and check back after you have spent a couple of years in Middle School and see if you have grown-up a little bit.
                                I know what the dictionary definition of fatuous is but I wanted to check if you did too. Significant that you had to look it up, I think. I don't know what you're raving about. I don't think that this case is as frivolous as you appear to believe which is why I made the comparison.

I have no intention of debating further with you. You are being deliberately patronising and provocative, just like Simon.

Comment

Working...
                                X