X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Oct 2024

Guedaffi: Dead

Visit BBC News for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories. BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives. Also entertainment, business, science, technology and health news.

I don't think there's any reason to celebrate his death/fall, when such crushing problems lie ahead for Libya.
  • pilamenon
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    Guedaffi

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

I don't think there's any reason to celebrate his death/fall, when such crushing problems lie ahead for Libya.
      Whilst WE have no reason to celebrate anyone's death, we can certainly celebrate the chance that the Libyans now have to begin to live under a just and freer society.

And unsurprisingly, the people of Libya clearly don't agree with you. But they were the ones who were his victims.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Good job the UK was able to find that 100 million pounds to do it. It was almost a miracle.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Good job the UK was able to find that 100 million pounds to do it. It was almost a miracle.
          not really...probably all borrowed against future oil revenues, and subbed by banks and businesses looking for future contracts and loan deals.

No such thing as a free lunch..wars have to be paid for out of profits.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I shall miss his unique dress sense.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

I'm not sure who
              Guedaffi
              is, but if the OP means Gadaffi, then I'm glad this murderous lunatic has finally got his come-uppance. Bin Laden, Saddam, Gadaffi..... Voldemort...... Quite a few undesirables have met their end recently, as well as numerous unknown Taleban, thanks to drone strikes.

Cameron and Sarkozy should be congratulated for helping to rid the planet of yet another dictator.

Incidentally, there seem to have been a lot of threads recently headed "A name...dead". All rather gloomy isn't it?
              Last edited by Mr Pee; 20-10-11, 23:18.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                if the OP means Gadaffi
                Or Gaddafi.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

مُعَمَّر القَذَّافِي

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes, remember the name. Some years down the line, the novelty will wear off. Things will have gone a bit pear shaped as they always do. One of his relatives will probably be seen as a potential saviour by the Libyan peoples and welcomed back with the red carpet treatment!!

(12.16am - Fatima, a caller in a phone-in on LBC, says "why should the British people have to fork out the money for these things when there is growing poverty here? Britain is not a democracy and the British people should be far more angry with their Government for having the wrong priorities.")
                    Last edited by Guest; 21-10-11, 00:20.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                      • Nov 2010

I suppose one gets to an age when one has seen too many despots toppled to have any view on the matter. For so many years he was our hated enemy, then somehow 'misunderstood', oh and he had a bloody big swag bag of money for BAE contracts. That was convenient and Blair got tucked in (and let's not imagine for a moment that Cameron will not lead exactly the same sales driven delegations), but no one ever thinks of the end game. Do they? And more often than not that turns out to be a very diferent cup of tea.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves
                        Don't worry, Simon, about those out there who begrudge a few million in helping overthrow a dictator. Clearly they put this money above helping get rid of a tyrant who killed and maimed his own people.
                        He was killing them with guns we sold him for the last couple of years.
                        Its win /win for the politicians and the arms industry.
                        Like our governments really care about dictatorships..........if they do, they have about 100 more to go.

Go Dave.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• John Skelton

[see below]

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            He was killing them with guns we sold him for the last couple of years.

"Amnesty looked at arms transfers since 2005 to key countries rocked by protests this year: Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Syria and Bahrain. It found that the main suppliers of arms since 2005 were the U.S., Britain, Russia, Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic."

"The report comes as the human rights group urges the U.S. Congress to block a $53 million proposed U.S. arms sale to Bahrain, where more than 30 people have been killed as the ruling Sunni Muslim monarchy has waged sweeping crackdowns against mostly Shiite Muslim protesters who have demanded greater rights."

Comment

• John Skelton

Meanwhile:

Providing a pivotal platform for the global defence industry.

"This year’s Defence & Security Equipment International (DSEi) exhibition, which played host to the world’s largest display of land, sea and air applications of defence and security products and technologies, has confirmed its attendance figure this year as 29,112, an increase of 16 percent on the previous edition in 2009. The exhibition featured 1,391 exhibiting companies representing 46 countries and included 30 national pavilions making this the largest DSEi ever."

"The UK Secretary of State for Defence, the Right Honourable Dr Liam Fox MP [oops], delivered a keynote address on the opening day and there were unprecedented levels of attendance from UK Government Ministers, including the Minister of State for Trade and Investment, Lord Green, the Minister for International Security Strategy, Gerald Howarth MP and the Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Peter Luff MP. James Brokenshire MP, Minister for Crime and Security at the Home Office, also paid a special visit to the event."

Comment

Working...
                              X