Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    Good job the UK was able to find that 100 million pounds to do it. It was almost a miracle.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
      I'm not sure who is, but if the OP means Gadaffi, then I'm glad this murderous lunatic has finally got his come-uppance. Bin Laden, Saddam, Gadaffi..... Voldemort...... Quite a few undesirables have met their end recently, as well as numerous unknown Taleban, thanks to drone strikes.
      But Thatcher & Blair march on - when are we gonna get him up before the beak in the Hague, eh?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        (12.16am - Fatima, a caller in a phone-in on LBC, says "why should the British people have to fork out the money for these things when there is growing poverty here? Britain is not a democracy and the British people should be far more angry with their Government for having the wrong priorities.")
        Was that Babs from Bermondsey, Lats?

Comment

• amateur51

Nice work, John Skelton!

Depressing innit

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

mmmmm
            Last edited by Guest; 10-11-11, 08:25.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Was that Babs from Bermondsey, Lats?
              Didn't she marry Clive? I understood that was why he left the station.

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                to look at the arms sales during Labour's tenure shows that it dwarfs those made during the Coalition's time in Government
                Only because they were in government longer than the coalition thus far, though . If David Cameron has indicated that he wants a new approach to armaments trading I missed the coverage.

The Prime Minister accused critics of being at odds with reality as he was condemned for taking eight arms manufacturers on his tour of the Gulf.

Comment

• amateur51

Why not look at the facts first before singling out David Cameron? Or perhaps you don't do that because to look at the arms sales during Labour's tenure shows that it dwarfs those made during the Coalition's time in Government and so would not let you have your little random tirade against David Cameron. Pot. Kettle springs to mind.
                  So teamsaint was right, eh BTS? Dave has been selling them arms

And you're right too - Tony (and Gordon I'm sure) sold them arms too - that's teamsaint's point too. Or didn't you notice the plural 'our governments'?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                    Only because they were in government longer than the coalition thus far, though . If David Cameron has indicated that he wants a new approach to armaments trading I missed the coverage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ddle-East.html

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      مُعَمَّر القَذَّافِي
                      ... if I was back in my Arabic class and asked to transliterate, I think it would be -

مُعَمَّر القَذَّافِي‎ - Muʿammar al-Qaḏḏāfī

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                        http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...cc22e8bc09b9f9

"Amnesty looked at arms transfers since 2005 to key countries rocked by protests this year: Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Syria and Bahrain. It found that the main suppliers of arms since 2005 were the U.S., Britain, Russia, Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic."
                        Interesting to see countries like the Czech Republic and Bulgaria on the list. I wonder if they make them, or simply act as a middleman. There are some arms manufacturers in some countries which never sell to hostile countries. Solution! Sell to a friendly country and let that country's dealers sell them on.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... if I was back in my Arabic class and asked to transliterate, I think it would be -

مُعَمَّر القَذَّافِي‎ - Muʿammar al-Qaḏḏāfī
                          Seizing on the off-topic aspect: The Guardian always used to spell his name with a Q at one time. I think it's still common in the US.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Seizing on the off-topic aspect: The Guardian always used to spell his name with a Q at one time. I think it's still common in the US.
                            ... in classical Arabic, there isn't a G. In modern Egyptian Arabic the J [ ج‎ ] is often pronounced as a G: as in Gamal Abdul Nasser جمال عبد الناصر . The letter that starts the Libyan ex-leader's name [ ق - 'qaf' ] is usually transliterated by scholars as a Q... (as in Iraq - العراق )
                            Last edited by vinteuil; 21-10-11, 15:18.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Why not look at the facts first before singling out David Cameron? Or perhaps you don't do that because to look at the arms sales during Labour's tenure shows that it dwarfs those made during the Coalition's time in Government and so would not let you have your little random tirade against David Cameron. Pot. Kettle springs to mind.
                              Dave/tony/nick. all the same policies. But that doesn't let dave off the hook.
                              Blair is every bit as bad.
                              oh, and its not a random tirade, but an accurate statement of fact.
                              Unless of course, you know better, as Esther used to put it !!
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... in classical Arabic, there isn't a G. In modern Egyptian Arabic the J [ ج‎ ] is often pronounced as a G: as in Gamal Abdul Nasser جمال عبد الناصر . The letter that starts the Libyan ex-leader's name [ ق - 'qaf' ] is usually transliterated by scholars as a Q... (as in Iraq - العراق )
                                Fascinating, vints - many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X