X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

What a difference 10 months makes

I was looking through newspapers to throw out, and I came across a relatively old copy of the Times, inside which there was a supplement "Libya: The last untapped investment frontier" - dated Tuesday 14th December, 2010. Did anyone see trouble on the horizon then?

There really was no sign that things were going to change so rapidly then, or at least not in the press as it was at the time.

I suppose there will be investment again, as in other countries, when things eventually settle down. Great opportunities to reconstruct the country, no doubt. We've seen it elsewhere before.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i understood the bombing to be an investment ....

but an interesting point dave2002, i wonder at the incomprehension of and criticism by the establishment minded hacks in the USA and here at the Occupy movement and what it might entail ...in 10 months or more .... [in fairness some Wall St types are pretty astonished that it has taken so long to arrive so mildly]
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

And what a difference a day (the 20th) can make. Muammar Gaddafi today reported wounded and captured (said to have been hiding in a hole, Saddam style).

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Now reported dead, i hear.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

It's always enlightening and faintly comforting to read old newspapers and see that what exercised us at the time wasn't much to worry about after all.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Indeed, though at the time I posted he was still said to be alive but wounded. It has just been claimed on Newsnight that he was later shot by an unknown combatant in cross-fire which hit the ambulance while on his way to hospital, and that was the cause of his death.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I guess it makes a change from 'shot while trying to escape'!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I don't suppose anyone is going to do forensic tests to check any of the details out!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Well hopefully they have at least done DNA checks to make sure it was not one of his many doubles.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

The Enquirer will no doubt report him broadcasting from the International Space Station in a year or so!

Comment

• amcluesent
                      • Sep 2011

Did anyone see trouble on the horizon then?
                      I understand that the Colonel's undoing was demanding that Libyan oil was purchased using gold bullion rather in "quantitatively eased" £ or $. As we couldn't pay up, we suddenly noticed his 'uman rights record.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amcluesent View Post
                        I understand that the Colonel's undoing was demanding that Libyan oil was purchased using gold bullion rather in "quantitatively eased" £ or $. As we couldn't pay up, we suddenly noticed his 'uman rights record.
                        ... some would say that 'the Colonel's undoing' was his ordering his soldiers to shoot on the Libyan citizens who were protesting against him - 'to shoot them like rats'....

Comment

Working...
                        X