• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notinajumalainukhaju
    • Oct 2024

They all look the same

Just spotted this from the schedule for yesterday's Through the Night:

1:52 AM
    Badarzewska-Baranowska, Tekla (1838-1862)
    The maiden's prayer (Op.4)
    Kyung-Sook Lee (female) (piano)

???!!!???

What about the Leslies, Hillaries, Kims and other androgynous names?
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

funny comments from Percy Scholes about The Maiden's Prayer
    Last edited by mercia; 18-10-11, 16:44.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I thought a maiden's prayer was something else...

Comment

• notinajumalainukhaju

Did you mean this one, mercia? I believe she is a fairly well established artist.

2011 March 19th , ArtMconcert at GanaArt, Seoul.Born in 1945, nicknamed 'Godmother of korean pianist' , Professor Lee started to play at age 6...lost his fat...

She was a finalist at the Clara Haskil piano competition in 1975.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

sorry, I was more interested in the composer than the performer, which I appreciate is diverging (so soon) from the point of the thread ........ sorry

looks like the playlist wasn't edited properly

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            looks like the playlist wasn't edited properly
            Looks like a hint for the presenter - remember to say 'she' not 'he' ???
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Dr Spooner would have just had a Look See?

Comment

• notinajumalainukhaju

Thanks for the digression, though. Get's worse:

[from Wikipedia]
                It is also played on certain garbage trucks in Taiwan.[3][4]

and worse:

"From Consensus to Shifting Coalition: Tri-partite Politics in the Taipei City Council", p. 21, by Jaushieh Joseph Wu, National Chengchi University, in Working Papers in Taiwan Studies No. 8 (where the piece is mistakenly attributed to Beethoven)

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badarzewska-Baranowska

funny comments from Percy Scholes about The Maiden's Prayer
                  Hardly funny: more unkind - but then, Scholes wasn't anybody great. Yes, it's tonic and dominant, and yes, it needs modulation and variation, but of itself the basicmelodic line is fine: it just needed better treatment.

At least the poor young girl has something in her memory. RIP.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

RIP
                    indeed.

Now that I have actually listened to the piece it doesn't strike me as any worse than the many waltzes that must have been churned out over the years. I'm not sure that the length of the piece would allow for much modulation. Judging by the number of performances on Youtube alone, it obviously remains a very popular piece. I wonder why Percy so disliked it. Probably jealousy.

Please add an extra flower to Tekla's grave, on my behalf, when you next visit.
                    Last edited by mercia; 19-10-11, 07:51.

Comment

• Tapiola
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      but then, Scholes wasn't anybody great.
                      No, he was merely responsible for the most comprehensive, informative and influential single-volume encyclopedia of music ever written. A footnote in musical scholarship. A fraud.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                        No, he was merely responsible for the most comprehensive, informative and influential single-volume encyclopedia of music ever written. A footnote in musical scholarship. A fraud.

Sorry - I should have made it clearer: I meant that he wasn't anybody artistically great.

As a compiler of notes about others, he did a comprehensive enough job: I have the result of his labours on my shelf here as I type! Though it's clearly not without both bias and error on occasions...

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

As a compiler of notes about others, he did a comprehensive enough job
                          And not only on notes about others. His articles on form, harmony, instruments etc are miniature masterpieces, IMO.

Though it's clearly not without both bias and error on occasions...
                          so, similar to every other dictionary and encyclopedia of music then!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I once had the misfortune to hear a local choral society give a performance of a cantata by AR Gaul ( 1837-1913), and I've always treasured the comment on him by Percy Scholes.
                            " He practised in Birmingham, and wrote sacred cantatas, which during the last third of the nineteenth century had immense vogue in his own country, and some in America.
                            In the public museum at Rouen is to be seen the pencil he used in composing Joan of Arc ( presented by himself ) - likewise the indiarubber. "

Comment

• Simon

I may have missed something Ferret, but why that comment? Gaul clearly gave immense pleasure to many with his works at one period at least, though I don't think I've heard any myself, and as for rubbing out -- even Mozart did that.

Scholes appears to me like some fussy little know-all, who composed nothing, having digs at honest and popular artists who wrote things that he didn't personally like. Despite his useful talents at research.

Comment

Working...
                              X