• Mandryka
    • Oct 2024

Dennis Cannan: Dead

Anyone remember Captain Carvallo?

• doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Mandryka
    It is the first thing you do in the morning: to google through ‘obituary’?

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      Mandryka
      It is the first thing you do in the morning: to google through ‘obituary’?
      No: this was reported in yesterday's Guardian.

Comment

• Ariosto

I've just heard the terrible news that Mozart is dead too!!

Get used to it, everyone dies sooner or later.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

That is all a bit unfair. Can I though make a polite request? The format : "AZ : Dead" always seems slightly bleak and upsetting. Far be it from me to dictate but would it be possible generally to have "AZ RIP". Or am I being overly sensitive?

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            That is all a bit unfair. Can I though make a polite request? The format : "AZ : Dead" always seems slightly bleak and upsetting. Far be it from me to dictate but would it be possible generally to have "AZ RIP". Or am I being overly sensitive?
            I wondered when this would come up. Tbh, I've never been fond of the RIP thing.....as most of us don't know the people in question and have no idea what their immortal parts are going on to, it doesn't seem right to me to assume that they're going on to eternal peace. I've always favoured a bald reporting of the facts over anything else, which is why I tend to keep my 'notices' short and snappy.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

We could always steal the P Eye heading:

"So. Farewell Then...."

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                I wondered when this would come up. Tbh, I've never been fond of the RIP thing.....as most of us don't know the people in question and have no idea what their immortal parts are going on to, it doesn't seem right to me to assume that they're going on to eternal peace. I've always favoured a bald reporting of the facts over anything else, which is why I tend to keep my 'notices' short and snappy.
                I have to say I'm with you on the RIP, Mandryka, and I do not object to "dead" - because that is what they are. "Passed" or "passed away" seems equally silly, because where have they passed to? "Dead" is fine.

It's just that with so many people kicking the bucket, it gets a bit repetitive. Unless it's someone very special in music then I tend not to want to know about it. (I have heard it said though that the only good politician is a dead one, but I won't add conductors to that category ...)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                  I've just heard the terrible news that Mozart is dead too!!

Get used to it, everyone dies sooner or later.
                  So the rumours are true.....you are referring to Mozart père, I take it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    I always thought that 'RIP' was an expression of hope, rather than expectation.

Anyone remember Captain Carvallo?
                    I don't. (I was a bit too young in 1950 to be going to plays about philandering army officers) (or any plays at all)

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                      I have to say I'm with you on the RIP, Mandryka, and I do not object to "dead" - because that is what they are. "Passed" or "passed away" seems equally silly, because where have they passed to? "Dead" is fine.

It's just that with so many people kicking the bucket, it gets a bit repetitive. Unless it's someone very special in music then I tend not to want to know about it. (I have heard it said though that the only good politician is a dead one, but I won't add conductors to that category ...)
                      I think things need to be put in perspective: if you allow it to, it can seem that there is a constant stream of celebrity deaths, but of course there are as many future celebrities, etc. being born as the older ones are shuffling off their mortal, etc.

I'll own up to a non-morbid interest in obituary notices.....I like the idea of a life being summed up in a few paragraphs, whilst the consequences/influence of that life may continue to be debated. Especially interesting to read the obituary notices of those who've been out of the public eye for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X