• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Yes, our resident undertaker!

A neighbour anf family friend met Betty in the 1930's when he (and she) was a child. Apparently, his father was something in the theatre at that time and he met many stars of that era. Only told me about it a couple of weeks ago and it was fascinating. He also saw King George V and Queen Mary - how many people living can say that?
    Err, I saw George V a
    nd Queen Mary when I was five and had just started school in London. It was 1935 and, I think, 25 years into his reign. They drove past where we were all lined up by the kerb and we waved the flags we were given
    Goodness know why I remember it as it was a non-event really.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Sad news. Given her range of talents and length of time in the profession, she was underrated. She also came across as a very pleasant and normal woman by showbiz standards.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Betty Driverr was one of those down to earth Lancastrian women who never forgot her roots. A really down to earthy lady, RIP
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Lancastrian
          from Leicester, but I nitpick

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

Oh dear. I confess I have never heard of Betty Driver. True, I've never watched even one episode of Coronation Street, but I do know the names of some of the people who've been in it. Not this one, though

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

ITV changed their schedule at 8pm to screen The Betty Driver Story, narrated by Sreean McKellen. Am now watching on ITV1+1. http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/...storyinmemory/

Great slice of 20th C entertainment history. I didn't know she had her own TV show before Corrie.

Those interested might care to spend a nostalgic 30m with the ITV Player...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
              X