• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Maybe far OT for this forum ?

OK

So this is NOT my favourite band, and the style of this "Rockumentary" is a little irritating
    BUT

I found that there were some really interesting things here about the way in which music can be devised. How one idea can morph into two pieces and some really interesting insights into the artistic process of one of the most successful bands of the last 25 years. What , for me, was most interesting is the focus on the SOUND , one expects rock music to be all about "message" and (particularly in U2's case !) "posturing" but what is revealed here is a group of musicians paying really close attention to the sounds they make and getting to a point where they recognise the "unique moment". The whole "lyrics" which seem to dominate so much contemporary popular music are almost an afterthought.

worth a look IMV

• MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Obviously far too OT
    Though why Neil Diamond isn't is strange ?

Comment

• handsomefortune

i watched about 3/4s before the iplayer started playing up. imo well worth it, just for the old footage, (especially old german recording venue). i'm normally nauseated by bono and the edge, but i don't think you need necessarily be a fan to watch.

as roaming catholics go, they are a very odd mixture - fancy publicly thanking ronald reagan for instance?

i lost the iplayer round about them doing some electronica, and the edge trying to please bono with new ideas, a new direction. that far in, the others in the band hardly got a look in....but i'm glad the drummer apparently listened to some new stuff to base his bif boff rock beats on, but i didn't catch whether this improved matters, or not?

having picked up a truely vile rock magazine called 'the hot list' recently in the dentists surgery, i saw contemporary u2 wannabes, most of which looked like friends of the central character in 'american psycho' imo. in comparison, u2 seem like hairy, sedate country gents, musing as to whether to sell off the bottom orchard, or not. if anything, they're much more fascinating in this context, than they ever were when at their career peak. although the doc doubled back, to an interesting bit about them returning to ireland to play, looking like a bunch of presbytarians, newly arrived in the US, circa late 19th c....perhaps i'll have to go back to this, and see what happened nect (if anything). meanwhile, thanks again for posting.

Comment

• MarkG
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        What , for me, was most interesting is the focus on the SOUND ,

Perhaps not so surprising considering their collaborations with Eno during the 80s?

Comment

Working...
        X