Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I like the Alwyn symphonies but I wouldn't regard them as masterpieces. I don't like Arnold's music much at all - no doubt my problem not his !

Comment

• Hitch
      • Nov 2010

Mahler 1. I may be some time.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        As another lifelong Brucknerite I am ashamed to say that I still cannot get on with the 2nd Symphony. The others pose no problems at all (even the Symphony No '0'). It isn't for want of trying either as I have Karajan, Wand, Jochum, Solti, Giulini and Stein on my shelves. Like the Brahms Piano Concerto No 1 (another once intractable work) it will click into place eventually. Have to say though that the scherzo of the 2nd is wonderful, one of Bruckner's finest. Will keep on trying with the rest.
        Perhaps you should try the Tintner. He uses a different version of the score.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
          Mahler 1. I may be some time.
          Hans Rott wrote most of it anyway.

Comment

• Hitch
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Hans Rott wrote most of it anyway.
            Fascinating. What a sad end to a promising life. His Symphony in E major is now on my playlist.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Fascinating. What a sad end to a promising life. His Symphony in E major is now on my playlist.
              If you've not heard it before, I think you'll be intrigued.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Perhaps you should try the Tintner. He uses a different version of the score.
                Yes; for all Karajan's customary attention to detail and glorying in the sound, the cut in the Slow movement of his recording sounds like a terrible tape edit once you know the complete version. One of those occasions where the cuts make the work sound longer because the argument doesn't hold together. Tintner is superb; possibly the best thing he did.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Here's one that was new to me , from Suffy's travels.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

less than 100 views.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Yes; for all Karajan's customary attention to detail and glorying in the sound, the cut in the Slow movement of his recording sounds like a terrible tape edit once you know the complete version. One of those occasions where the cuts make the work sound longer because the argument doesn't hold together. Tintner is superb; possibly the best thing he did.
                    That's good to hear! The slow movement is particularly lovely, IMO. I am, however, taking longer to get to grips with the 1873 original version of 3, having got too used to the 1878 version - and to follow all the twists and turns in the story.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Yes, it's odd with the Karajan - he conflates 1872 and 1876 (Haas) but does play the complete finale text from 1872; it's one of his loveliest Bruckner recordings.

Richard Osborne in 11/2013 Gramophone reports that Blomstedt, in his fine new Leipzig Gewandhaus (live) Bruckner cycle, plays "William Carraghan's 2005 critical edition of the 1872 original in which the scherzo comes second". Tintner plays Carraghan 1991 edn. - so there's now another reading of the best and most complete version, following Chailly in Leipzig, Bosch Young et al., (unless Carraghan has made further emendations to 1991..). (And it is aas!)

Really, all those earlier editions do pale alongside this one - Bruckner knew what he was doing and the piece did make sense in 1872!
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-11-13, 19:34.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I ought to get to know Bruckner's First Symphony, ass well, especially as this new recording by Abbado has come out now. I am glad of that, because, otherwise it be part of that huge Abbado/Symphony Edition, of which I have numerous doublings.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            Richard Osborne in 11/2013 Gramophone reports that Blomstedt, in his fine new Leipzig Gewandhaus (live) Bruckner cycle, plays "William Carraghan's 2005 critical edition of the 1872 original in which the scherzo comes second". Tintner plays Carraghan 1991 edn. - so there's now another reading of the best and most complete version, following Chailly in Leipzig, Bosch Young et al., (unless Carraghan has made further emendations to 1991..). (And it is aas!)

Really, all those earlier editions do pale alongside this one - Bruckner knew what he was doing and the piece did make sense in 1872!
                            What? Scherzo second? Oh, surely that will NEVER do! (sorry, but I think that you know what I'm referring to here!...)...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

All these editions of Bruckner's works do seem rather confusing, Novak Carraghan et al. Do we really know what Bruckner intended, at all?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Magnard 's symphonies ! Though so far i like the Third best but I suspect that is because I know it already . The third movement of it in particular is very beautiful indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X