X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Let's all learn a new symphony !

Ok, so we have that wonderful gift of some free time.

This allows us to finally make the effort of discovering a symphony that has long eluded us- for whatever reason.

It could be a completely new work to us or one we've tried but never really fathomed or commited to memory.

I'll go first.

Sibelius Symphony 6.

I dont know this work nearly as well as any of the other Sibelius symphonies and could not hum any of it.

Time to dig out the Gothenburg/ N Jarvi disc from the complete set.

Wow ! It sounds quite glorious in SACD format with volume turned up.

I will persevere and listen again. And again.

Any programme notes for the work gratefully received ....

We should all be able to help each other with our discoveries.

Good listening - Alison
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

don't know it at all myself

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Brilliant notes, Mercia. Many thanks.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

I've known the Sibelius symphonies well since Anthony Collins's old Decca set, and I love especially nos. 3, 6 and 7. I don't have a score in front of me, but I think it needs a harp (Sibelius doesn't use one in 3, 4, 5 or 7), though the scoring's generally quite delicate. I recall reading more than once that the opening of the first movement, which builds up some glorious string polyphony, has a connexion with Palestrina - Sibelius was deeply interested in him at the time (or something like that). Sorry to seem a bit vague, but I'm away from home and can't look this up.

I really love the tune in the last movement (oboes in thirds) each time it comes - reminds me of northern sunlight filtering through birch leaves.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

When I could get to concerts it was nearly always Sibelius 1,2,5 or 7 that was played years ago. I will listen to number 6 when I can and meanwhile try to think of a new work for myself. Thanks Alison.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I am currently learning Schnittke symphony no.2. Heard it for the first time on August 30th on the way to Cornwall. See my thread that no one’s replied to!

Each time you play an unfamiliar work more and more things appear and you think
            “I remember this bit from last time!” or “ So that’s where Schnittke does the climax and there’s the out of tune organ at the end! (mvt 3, in this example)

Other works include Arnold Symphony no.5 and 6 ( but not been played since Cornwall!) and Bartok Violin concerto 1 and 2 (no.2 played on the way to Crystal Palace last week, but finding this work not very easy)

As for Sibelious 6( October 1999) I can hum this one.

Haven’t got any more new symphonies. Will need some for the West Wales Christmas Holiday!

3VS

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Yes I've just put a CD of Sibelius 6 on and I'm singing along with it. I am old and get mixed up so perhaps it's no 4 that I don't know very well. Anyway so much Sibelius seems to me to flow from one symphony to another. A conductor once told me that symphonies 1 and 2 were composed in the 19th century classsical way but the last five were more like zig-saw pieces. He put it better than that though.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                Yes I've just put a CD of Sibelius 6 on and I'm singing along with it. I am old and get mixed up so perhaps it's no 4 that I don't know very well. Anyway so much Sibelius seems to me to flow from one symphony to another. A conductor once told me that symphonies 1 and 2 were composed in the 19th century classsical way but the last five were more like zig-saw pieces. He put it better than that though.
                Was that on the old 21 route to Whipp's Cross, salymap

Comment

• Ariosto

No thanks, I've learnt too many symphonies thanks.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Fair enough, Ariosto. If I do have some spare time, I might get to know Bruckner's Symphony No.6. This work has quite often eluded me. The recent BaL, thast was on R3, a few weeks ago(!!), helped a lot.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Was that on the old 21 route to Whipp's Cross, salymap
                      No, it was a number 9 bus to the RAH actually, am.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Can I be greedy and have 6.
                        Up until about a month ago I had never listened to a single symphony by Martinu. Having listened to some of his piano music in a lunchtime concert I felt I had to get to know this composer.Prompted by some helpful recommendations on here I bought a set of the symphonies and am gradually learning (or getting to know) them,the word learning makes it sound like a chore.They are wonderful works and I don't know how it's taken me so long to become familiar with them.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Good idea, Rob.

I vaguely know four and six and the Chandos Thomson set has been in my possession
                          for a long while. The new BBCSO recordings could be really tempting if I get into them.
                          Last edited by Alison; 13-10-11, 19:42.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                            No thanks, I've learnt too many symphonies thanks.
                            Well since this is a sensible thread about music, i SHALL make the effort to catch up with Sibelius 6... whether I enjoy it or not, I will hopefully be the better for the experience.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Go for it TS. Im on the third listen now and its gradually coming together for me.

Im trying to remember the chosen BAL version. David Nice the reviewer ?

Comment

Working...
                              X