X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Try No 5. (There's a good performance - CzechPO/Neumann - on youTube: sound's a bit "boxy". Belahlavek does it better IMO!)

Best Wishes.
    No 5 is my favourite too.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

I've received this press release, which might be of interest to Bruckner lovers:

"BUNDESJUGENDORCHESTER CONCERT 23 OCTOBER 2011 IN THE PHILHARMONIE

SIR SIMON RATTLE CONDUCTS IN BERLIN THE NEW REVISION OF THE
      COMPLETED PERFORMANCE VERSION OF THE FINALE OF BRUCKNER'S NINTH

Due to new findings, in 2010/11 the Editorial Team Samale et al. has prepared a thorough revision of the entire Coda of the completed performance version of the Finale of Anton Bruckner's Ninth Symphony.

Only one week after the world premiere of this version in the Netherlands (Het Brabants Orkest, Friedemann Layer; more information: www.brabantsorekst.nl) follows the first German performance of the revised score:

Sir Simon Rattle will conduct the completed symphony on the 23rd of October in Berlin, Philharmonie, as a special project of the Bundesjugendorchester (National Youth Orchestra of Germany)

In a Pre-Concert Talk given at 19:00 in the Hermann-Wolff Room of the Berlin Philharmonie, Editor Dr. Benjamin-Gunnar Cohrs will be the guest of music journalist Mark Schulze Steinen.

In the following year Rattle will also conduct four further performances of the completed Ninth - that time with the Berlin Philharmonic, giving three concerts in Berlin (7th to 9th of February 2012) as well as the American Premiere in the Carnegie Hall New York (24 February). To this day, the Finale arrangement of Samale et al. has never been played in the the United States.

Further information may be obtained from the website of the orchestra: www.bundesjugendorchester.de

An introduction into the new revision by B.-G. Cohrs including a reprint of the new coda for free download will be available soon from www.abruckner.com (download section, articles and essays in English)."

I have personal knowledge that Benjamin-Gunnar Cohrs is also a conductor who has included much RVW and Elgar in concert programmes.

Back to the thread, and may I suggest that the symphonies of Vagn Holmboe (try 7) and George Lloyd (try 4 or 8) repay the effort?
      Last edited by Pabmusic; 16-10-11, 00:47.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Yea, there is one even greater...

I'd go for Munch/Boston SO in Honegger no.2 (c/w a searing no.5, almost unsurpassable) - 1953 mono (in the Japanese transfer of course - but you know me...) it's fleeter & leaner, with much clearer rhythms in that tricky finale synco; or Baudo/Czech Phil for the guttiest, most textured strings; but the more easily found EMI GROC of Munch's stereo 1969 reading, with Orchestre de Paris is possibly finest of all - stunning transfer by Allan Ramsey too - the agony and the ecstasy, never more intense!

But yes, HvK in the Liturgique; or try Fabio Luisi/Suisse Romande for a thunderous final catastrophe! Hope your speakers survive...
        Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Yes ... YES ... YES

Bbm

Drier, more understated than the Martinu's, but with a quiet intensity all their own. Karajan in Nos 2 & 3 never equalled IMO.
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-10-11, 02:27.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

I would go for No.4 first, for its echt-Martinu range of moods - gurgling delight at the start, soon darkening, then joyful again - a country walk threatened by a thunderclap! Then his best and biggest scherzo, driven and demonic (with a Coplandesque trio from the prairies!); a glowingly gorgeous largo (Bryden Thomson at his finest here!) and a finale that can hardly contain its own joy at the end of the war. Marvellous!

Just played Thomson again in 4 - wow! Better than Behlolavek himself with audibly more rhythmic bite and dynamic drama in the scherzo - a bargain box not to miss!

No.5 sounds quite extreme by comparison - a symphony of slow introductions and rhythmic obsessions! Then, after 5 years, No. 6 opens out into strange new sonic and emotional landscapes (here it just has to be Munch or Ancerl) and don't forget the 6th's equally masterly companion, the Frescoes of Piero Della Francesca (if La Mer might be a symphony, so could this). Touchingly, despite the gap of time since the early symphonies both these works quote Martinu's "signature" motif... (go, on, look for it...)

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Any suggestions for a Martinu symphony to really get stuck into then, Ferney ?

Ive ordered the Naxos Bruckner 2 as well. Good stuff.
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-10-11, 02:29.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I have to admit the symphony I must get to know is Shostakovich 15 - I have always struggled past No 10 and this work has eluded me.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I have to admit the symphony I must get to know is Shostakovich 15 - I have always struggled past No 10 and this work has eluded me.
              I find I have a a special relationship with works which I heard for the first time live, as was the case with Shos 15. It was when it first appeared and before I knew most of the other symphonies. The live experience focusses the mind and grabs the attention in a way that a recording never quite can.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Go for Alberic Magnard! All four of them! Especially the 4th...
                If you've never experienced the climax to this astounding, little-known masterwork you're nowhere near completing your tour of Musical Heaven-on-Earth...

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Go for Alberic Magnard! All four of them! Especially the 4th...
                  If you've never experienced the climax to this astounding, little-known masterwork you're nowhere near completing your tour of Musical Heaven-on-Earth...
                  You do seem particularly taken with his work, so I may well have a listen this weekend.

If I had to recommend something "new to me" and symphonic from the last few months, it might be the first two Rouse symphonies.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

Many years ago, I was very impressed by a Hallé orchestra's broadcast of Rubbra's 5th symphony. I have never heard any of the others and I wonder why Rubbra as a composer is apparently entirely neglected when other British composers of his generation (like Robert Simpson, for instance) do get an occasional airing.

HS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                      Many years ago, I was very impressed by a Hallé orchestra's broadcast of Rubbra's 5th symphony. I have never heard any of the others and I wonder why Rubbra as a composer is apparently entirely neglected when other British composers of his generation (like Robert Simpson, for instance) do get an occasional airing.

HS
                      It's been five or more years since the Rubbra Symphony cycle was broadcast (largely from the Hicox recordings) over a series of afternoons. I agree - they are impressive, and I had hoped that Belohlavek would perform at least some of them during his time with the BBCSO. I wouldn't mind more Simpson, too - he is heard more, but it's a matter of a paucity compared with a complete absence, if that makes sense.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        You do seem particularly taken with his work, so I may well have a listen this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNE7U5jrKtA
                        What's different to the the last time we kicked Magnard around teamsaint? Or maybe you didn't pick up on the chat.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I have a cassette somewhere coupling a Magnard and Ropartz symphony in performances by Ansermet I think . I don't recall being thrilled to the marrow but I do recall enjoying it .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            What's different to the the last time we kicked Magnard around teamsaint? Or maybe you didn't pick up on the chat.
                            Probably better to listen to his music, really... buy all three cycles, listen for forty days and forty nights....

Magnard Longa, Chatter Brevis...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

HS
                              It used I think to be an accusation that Rubbra's orchestration was considered somewhat grey. To which the composer is supposed to have replied that he rather liked the colour grey!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                Probably better to listen to his music, really... buy all three cycles, listen for forty days and forty nights....

Magnard Longa, Chatter Brevis...
                                We were listening first, and then chatting.

Comment

Working...
                                X