X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Edgar Lustgarten died ...

... at the Marylebone Library while reading The Spectator. Discuss.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
    He died a happy man??

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

It was probably the policeman who 'dunnit'. I hope Scotland Yard were informed.

A name from my early childhood.
      Steve

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

A name from my early radio listening days as well. His R4 talks on famous trials and murders was essential () listening.

Thought he'd died years ago though.

EDIT: Just checked - died Dec 15 1978.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• decantor
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
          Not much to say really. It was possibly a mind-numbing edition of The Spectator. Lustgarten had an extraordinary voice, but presumably didn't dare raise it in a library.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

He also did truly awful short films as fillers in the days when they still had B pictures in double bills. He used to sit at a desk and narrate the story in a doom laden voice. i think he may have been the inspiration for the narrator of the Rocky Horror Picture Show featuring the wonderful Charles Gray.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The theme music to those really rather dreadful 'B' films was 'Man of Mystery', recorded by The Shadows. The collective groan induced by this sound was exceeded only by that produced when the Pearl & Dean triumphal arch appeared, indicating the start of a sequence of adverts.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

Confusingly there was a rival strand of 'B' movies ... Tales of Edgar Wallace.

Comment

• amateur51

I seem to remember a radio programme of his when I was an early teenager about the great trials of advocate Edward Marshall Hall. Rivetting stuff strangely.

There was a character called Martin Fido who did a similar line in doom-laden tones for the narrative of certains murderers on London's LBC radio - 'Murder After Midnight'. It was strauight over to 'Sailing By' for me

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    He also did truly awful short films as fillers in the days when they still had B pictures in double bills. He used to sit at a desk and narrate the story in a doom laden voice. i think he may have been the inspiration for the narrator of the Rocky Horror Picture Show featuring the wonderful Charles Gray.
                    Or even this fellow...

BBC Fast Show's Rowley Birkin has bittersweet memories of how he found and lost the love of his life as a young man...Quite touching, really.

Comment

Working...
                    X