X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Ravel question

Right pop pickers, can any of you give a thumbs up or down to this please?

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

be really grateful for any sensible opinions.

Thanks.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Can't argue with the price per disc! However: (i) Ravel was a terrible conductor, (ii) Gieseking's recordings from that period often suffer from hard, unyielding and generally unpleasant sound; (iii) quite a few of these recordings are from the 78 era, and who knows how well they have been reprocessed?

In favour of the set I would say that Inghelbrecht had a fine reputation conducting Ravel, and that Michelangeli's recording of the G major concerto is self-recommending.

Make of that what you will!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

I would certainly take a chance providing that the remastering is OK. Ansermet's L'Enfant is a classic, as is the Michelangeli . The original Record Guide also liked the Margaret Long performance, but even then commented on the poor sound. Cluytens was a superb Ravel conductor, witness his stereo set of the orchestral music which may still be around in some form, and I would love to hear the items with Souzay.
      Many of these items are available elsewhere at higher cost, but nevertheless it's certainly a bargain.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

L'Enfant is wonderful. The sound is a little of its period but the voices are perfect. Hughes Cuenod never fails to make me laugh and join in. Inghelbrecht is the Ravel conductor par excellence. Two celebrated versions of the G Major Concerto. Go for it. I MUST RESIST....I have spent too much....I have spent too much.

Comment

Working...
        X