• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    serial -

this is my parish, so be careful...

The 'old' doughnut shaped BBC building at White City is on the site of the Franco-British Exhibition (remnants of which still to be seen in Hammersmith Park)

The 'new' silver building referred to by Caliban is on the site of the old White City greyhound track...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_City_Stadium
    Not a fairground, then...

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

The small park behind the Television Centre is another remnant of the Franco-British Exhibition, with its small surviving pond. I once helped a colleague release a live eel into the pond after rescuing it from an eel and pie shop in the Uxbridge Road, but that's another story for which the public are not yet prepared .

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        The BBC White City up the road from TC that you refer to was originally intended for both TV and Radio News, and was completely equipped for broadcasting, with all the infrastructure required
        I used to belong to the Cix messaging board - predated the general availability of the internet, and I remember a BBC employee called Mike Todd being quite heavily involved in posting there. I think he was a studio manager. Anyhow, he was very sceptical that celebs and politicians would be prepared to travel to White City for news programmes. At the time I didn't realise how close the place was to central London - though I concede it isn't as close as BH. I think this would have been in the 90s, and I think there was a huge refurbishment at BH that was causing lots of problems with noise etc.
        Steve

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          The small park behind the Television Centre is another remnant of the Franco-British Exhibition, with its small surviving pond. I once helped a colleague release a live eel into the pond after rescuing it from an eel and pie shop in the Uxbridge Road, but that's another story for which the public are not yet prepared .
          Shame! Was the giant rat of Sumatra involved?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

mangerton

These are deep waters, Watson!

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
              The future of the BBC archive really is one that needs raising with the BBC Trust. This is an organisation after all which is considering levelling TV Centre.
              TV Centre is not being levelled (or at least not by the BBC), but it is up for sale along with the 14 acre site on which it sits. More details here, including confirmation of the Grade II listing for TV centre:

Clearly a price has yet to be agreed, but I have heard the BBC are looking for a substantial price for the whole site.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

Here's a link to a wonderfully detailed website which has about the most comprehensive overview of Television Centre:

BBC TV Centre… …with grateful thanks to several current and ex BBC staffers who have passed some fascinating documents and other information to me. (Revised March 2024) photo thanks to Peter Sumpter   contents:

This is the inevitable outcome of Birt's internal market reforms, I suppose.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the link SHB, fascinating stuff. I've only skimmed though it, but will return later for a more thorough read.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X