Wright or Wrong? RW blogs about the cuts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    I'm much with Ventilhorn & probably some others, disappointed that ex Proms, there is so little interest in discussing the content of programmes, the live performances, personal experiences & recommendations etc. There's just so little enthusiasm here now (except the FoR3 agenda). It seemed so much better on the old BBC boards.
    Some of us, wrinkled or not, are probably caught in a bit of a Catch 22 situation.

They may, like me, be retired and their R3 listening might, by choice, be in the morning. There are many other things I am doing most afternoons and evenings. (It was different when for many years I drove to and from work, but then we had 'Homeward Bound' on the way back, blissfully devoid of much human speech.)

The current abysmal state of the morning programmes means that I now rarely listen to R3 before noon, and, ergo, rarely listen to R3 at all. It's my choice, and my loss, after a lifetime of R3 being a central part of my life. That does, however mean that my contributions to the Forum will rarely be discussing the 'content of programmes, the live performances', except perhaps regarding CD Review, which is still something I try not to miss, or something which I heard in the car.

There is still plenty of enthusiasm for things musical, but it must relate to our current experience, and unfortunately we have been driven away from much of R3's output.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Some of us, wrinkled or not, are probably caught in a bit of a Catch 22 situation.

They may, like me, be retired and their R3 listening might, by choice, be in the morning. There are many other things I am doing most afternoons and evenings. (It was different when for many years I drove to and from work, but then we had 'Homeward Bound' on the way back, blissfully devoid of much human speech.)

The current abysmal state of the morning programmes means that I now rarely listen to R3 before noon, and, ergo, rarely listen to R3 at all. It's my choice, and my loss, after a lifetime of R3 being a central part of my life. That does, however mean that my contributions to the Forum will rarely be discussing the 'content of programmes, the live performances', except perhaps regarding CD Review, which is still something I try not to miss, or something which I heard in the car.

There is still plenty of enthusiasm for things musical, but it must relate to our current experience, and unfortunately we have been driven away from much of R3's output.

Very well put - my feelings exactly. I'm one of those who probably now help account for Radio 4's record-breaking listenership figures.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
        [/B]

Very well put - my feelings exactly. I'm one of those who probably now help account for Radio 4's record-breaking listenership figures.
        its a real pity that you feel like that about something that has been so important to you.

However, and I really don't mean this to be trite, i would still rather listen to the worst excesses of "Breakfast" than to all those politicians (and bankers) lies on R4.

If I don't listen to them , they can't fool me.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

At least we are largely discussing music instead of the leader of Radio 3 that we are supposed to look up to.

Actually, I regard the Große Fuge as the best and most important piece of music LvB ever wrote (amongst an incredible amount of also great music!!). Without it is likely we would never have had Brahms, Richard Strauss, Mahler, Mozart, Elgar, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Schonberg, Berg, Bartok, Tippett and other composers who dared to make discordance acceptable. I have just listened to Sir Adrian Boult conduct Große Fuge: "Bliss" as Roger Wright would have said, though it is interesting it never seems to have to be given an indefinite or definite article unlike the leader . The frightening thought is that without Große Fuge we could still be listening to lots of Spohr or Mendelssohn.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
            we could still be listening to lots of Spohr or Mendelssohn.
            Though not, of course, necessarily composed by Spohr or Mendelssohn, as I'm sure was your meaning!
            i would still rather listen to the worst excesses of "Breakfast" than to all those politicians (and bankers) lies on R4.
            I originally gave up R4 mornings for Radio 3. My next move was to think the unthinkable - not to listen to the radio at all.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Though not, of course, necessarily composed by Spohr or Mendelssohn, as I'm sure was your meaning!I originally gave up R4 mornings for Radio 3. My next move was to think the unthinkable - not to listen to the radio at all.
              well quite.. it IS unthinkable.

my primary reason to listen to Radio is to hear new and exciting music. ok , its less likely to happen on a "drivetime' show, but with RC running the show, at least there was a chance.

The " listen to a CD" option pretty much negates the possibilty of hearing something new....and is especially tough on those of us who are time poor.(or still have or have to work).

Good radio is very precious... and for me that means quality music, properly presented, that takes me to new musical places.

Also, this doesn't mean that music has to be introduced like it was in 1952....though that could be part of the package.

Somebody please save us from the politicians lies and agenda, as promoted by news programmes.

Put RC in charge of R3.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

we could still be listening to lots of Spohr or Mendelssohn.
                Though not, of course, necessarily composed by Spohr or Mendelssohn, as I'm sure was your meaning!
                OK, FF. I meant music that resembles the weaker elements of Spohr and Mendelssohn. I'm glad you got my meaning and happy to clarify the point.

No, Newman, you fool.....do not say that Elijah is almost all mostly rubbish...........

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Put RC in charge of R3.
                  Or make it the Beeb's first cooperative: I can think of several others whose knowledge if pooled would, I'm sure, result in a very different R3. And they would all have to agree before caving in to the barbarians...
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

The " listen to a CD" option pretty much negates the possibilty of hearing something new....and is especially tough on those of us who are time poor.
                    You haven't seen my huge pile of 'yet to hear' CDs, many of them 'give it a try' items from charity shops.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

You haven't seen my huge pile of 'yet to hear' CDs, many of them 'give it a try' items from charity shops.
                      charity shops are great..but even at £2.99 the "give it a try" option can be pricey.. though it often pays off.

if anybody wants some fabulous looking old box sets of vinyl classics, get yourself to oxfam in Eastleigh. !!

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

well quite.. it IS unthinkable.

but with RC running the show, at least there was a chance.

RC? Might I suggest that RC is something of a Trojan Horse? Where did he work for before and get his matey ideas from? He has seen the grass on the other side. Greener??? Hmmmm.......

Plus, he is nearly as old as me. He would have to retire next year.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

well at least RC knows his music inside out and upside down !!

presenting a prog on CFM doesn't necessarily make you a barbarian !!

anyway, I learn a lot from him, and would learn a lot more if he was given more freedom on his show. and I like the rucksack too !!

Comment

• Don Petter

charity shops are great..but even at £2.99 the "give it a try" option can be pricey.. though it often pays off.
                            I think, with the current trend to downloads, the CD is gradually going the way of the DVD and the VHS before it, and prices are coming down (Oxfam excepted, of course). I bought a charity shop double CD of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue for £1.75 in Worcester only yesterday, which kept us vastly amused for nearly two and a half hours on the long journey home. Many smaller charity shops, and boot fairs, now offer CDs for £1 or even less - hence my pile!

(Currently on top, all at such a price, Scheherazade etc/Ormandy, Britten Piano Concerto & Debussy Fantaisie/Douglas/Janowsky, Ma Rainey, Enesco Chamber Works: Op.33, 12 & 14/Foster.)

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                              Plus, he is nearly as old as me. He would have to retire next year.
                              Don't think there's an upper limit for freelances. Geoffrey Smith is over the retirement age, for one. In fact the official retirement age for BBC staff has been 60, with exceptions for senior managers (in case you were counting up the years to go!).

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

I think, with the current trend to downloads, the CD is gradually going the way of the DVD and the VHS before it, and prices are coming down (Oxfam excepted, of course). I bought a charity shop double CD of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue for £1.75 in Worcester only yesterday, which kept us vastly amused for nearly two and a half hours on the long journey home. Many smaller charity shops, and boot fairs, now offer CDs for £1 or even less - hence my pile!

(Currently on top, all at such a price, Scheherazade etc/Ormandy, Britten Piano Concerto & Debussy Fantaisie/Douglas/Janowsky, Ma Rainey, Enesco Chamber Works: Op.33, 12 & 14/Foster.)
                                Certainly we are spoiled these days... if you have any spare cash after the banks, government, council, electric companies nick their bit, music is so much cheaper to buy than ever before !!

Comment

Working...
                                X