• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Guardian blog

I've been urged to publicise the article I wrote for the Guardian blog which is here.

I'm very pleased with the thoughtful, low key responses which don't try and personalise the issues - though it probably makes it less fun . If you would register (if you aren't already) and contribute in a similar vein, I'd be very grateful. You're not obliged to agree, but the idea was to probe beneath the surface of the most obvious complaints.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Simon

Could you perhaps do something similar with the DT?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

done

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Yep, also contributed but under a different sign-in name, so don't look for DracoM.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Could you perhaps do something similar with the DT?
          Simon, the only reason I sent it to the Guardian was because they didn't seem to have covered the R3 schedule changes at all in any serious way. The DT have had at least four pieces, to my knowledge, from staff writers who pack far more of a punch than I do .
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Simon, the only reason I sent it to the Guardian was because they didn't seem to have covered the R3 schedule changes at all in any serious way. The DT have had at least four pieces, to my knowledge, from staff writers who pack far more of a punch than I do .
            Well, I don't know about the punch side of it... I'm sure you'd hold your own there!

It's just that I can't possibly be seen reading or accessing anything to do with the G-word around here. I mean, they only get one copy at the local shop, and that's for some strange incomer who appeared a few years ago. Possibly a liberal throwback...

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              Well, I don't know about the punch side of it... I'm sure you'd hold your own there!
              Very kind of you, but Michael White and Gillian Reynolds are held in some respect, whereas I still attract the "With Friends like these, who needs enemies?" level of response

they only get one copy at the local shop, and that's for some strange incomer who appeared a few years ago. Possibly a liberal throwback...
              Well, if you never read the Guardian because it is beyond the pale ... Yes, in some ways it is (besotted with pop culture, for one thing). But the DT? Oh, SI-mon! Tu plaisantes, hein?

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Are you that frightened of enlightenment, simon? At least you could argue if challenged by the thought police in the area that by reading the Guardian you keep tabs on the opposition, I would have thought?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Are you that frightened of enlightenment, simon? At least you could argue if challenged by the thought police in the area that by reading the Guardian you keep tabs on the opposition, I would have thought?
                  Perhaps the reading age required for The Grauniad is a liittle too high for some?

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

Splendid blog article, FF. We are lucky to have such a spokesperson.

Comment

• tony yyy

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                      Splendid blog article, FF. We are lucky to have such a spokesperson.
                      Agreed! Many thanks for all your efforts, ff.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I'm glad to see that Stephen Moss of the Guardian has joined the debate with some ideas.

The difficulty is that one has to accept that a number of listeners would be quite happy with round-the-clock CDs. I agree with Moss that Radio 3 should be much more intellectually stimulating than that - even if the CD solution does remove a lot of the current irritations.

Comment

Working...
                        X