X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • handsomefortune

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Here endeth the impotent rant.
    loved it DracoM, it was extremely potent imv!

i don't agree that It's the age-old fascination for notoriety at all mahlerei. imv it is post ww2 'game theory': manipulation of civilians via mass media, now insisting on brand new 'heights' of depravation, intellectual compliance and obedience from all consumers. for beeb consuming brits, there's nothing familiar, or 'old' about this new(ish) scenario whatsoever.....which is why recent 'progress' feels such a threat to our identity, as brits; as free thinking individuals living in the democratic west.

we need to wake up to how we are manipulated. agreed teamsaint. 'we' also 'need' to understand why the much ridiculed subject of 'media studies' had to be reduced down to absolute pointlessness, circa mid 90s. its predecessor, 'communications studies', was lethal, very effective in terms of detecting 'game theory', and other aspects of US mass culture that needed to be avoided, here in tiny blighty. of course, 'communications' was considered 'too political'

When I watch the news, my first questions are always, "why is this a news item, why is it placed here, who placed it, where does the information come from.What other stories might have been covered?" me too teamsaint, which is arguably a 'symptom' of being an awake person! but as a perspective, this also has been reduced, reclassified to symptoms of 'introvertion', 'subjectivity' ...grumpiness, or even an 'autism/aspergers' diagnosis.

incredibly, it takes an ancient female guest, during an r4 lite programme, superficially about 'throwing away books', to acknowlege what a powerful, and wholly negative influence this reclassification has had here. particularly in terms of education, and awake people of any age. unfortunately, all sense can be dismissed, since it's uttered by a 'senile' person who doesn't even listen to chris moyles on r1. ....so, what would she know! whereas i suspect the same 'ancient lady', would think the likes of moyles imbecilic, at any point in the 20th c.

A lot of Americans are, apparently, shocked by the 'pro-Palestinian bias' of the BBC. but none that i've met mandryka. i find that ex pats, in particular, tend to be shocked at the beeb of late, but not in the sense you suggest. realistically, it's much more likely that US citizens are trying to square up short term employment contracts with strict rules as per personal health insurance, the assurance of a constant drip drip of $$s, and permanent/longterm contracts. on a (rare) day off, some citizens might marvel at how the israeli left can be as supressed as it is? along with the many US non conformists whose messages also fail to travel far these days, presumed lost in a virtual atlantic, awash with gastric band ads and other flotsum. coincidentally, speaking of flotsum, the jackson/knox saturation news, only makes me curious as to news on 'the murdoch meltdown'?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
      loved it DracoM, it was extremely potent.

imvon a (rare) day off, some citizens might marvel at how the israeli left can be as supressed as it is? along with the many US non conformists whose messages also fail to travel far these days, presumed lost in a virtual atlantic, awash with gastric band ads and other flotsum. coincidentally, speaking of flotsum, the jackson/knox saturation news, only makes me curious as to news on 'the murdoch meltdown'?
      Agreed - now we're cookin'!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        My response was: phew - Soft Machine's "Why Are We Sleeping" doesn't quite cover it!

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

news on 'the murdoch meltdown'?
          Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Oh look: Mr Pee's brought his entire fan base along to help!

Comment

• handsomefortune

we are sorry, but your responses can not currently be acknowleged. they are denied on the basis that none are matched by our numerical data content.

remember, responses such as 'excellent, good, satisfactory' score maximum points.

as do readymade comments & responses already in existence, such as our current brand leader: 'i'm singing the arse off brahms'; or a classic, old fashioned family comment such as 'a month of mozart was so good, we have been scribbling the arse off durer eversince'.

we are interested in your feedback, please try again later.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

I wonder if this story is getting its fair share of coverage on places like the BBC.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                X