X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Our news priorities ...

... And I say 'our' because we are acquiescent if not actually complict in the process ... My point is the death of 70 people at the hands of a suicide bomber in Somalia only makes item 5 on the BBC site's world pages, because, apparently our greater interest needs to be for the single fatality in a New York helicoper accident.

I mean, how many trees must have been felled to exploit the events of the London bombings in 2007. But hey, New York is a sasst kind of place, full of rich people hopping all over it in Bell helicopters 'cos the don't want to get caught in the traffic. Grrr!
  • Op. XXXIX
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
    But hey, New York is a sasst kind of place, full of rich people hopping all over it in Bell helicopters 'cos the don't want to get caught in the traffic. Grrr!

Not quite the spin you're putting on it. No Americans (with the exception of the pilot) in the helicopter.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

you are quite right of course.

But news agendas are always an issue.

When I watch the news, my first questions are always, "why is this a news item, why is it placed here, who placed it, where does the information come from.What other stories might have been covered?"

In this regards the BBC is guilty day after day of placing the government news agenda , no questions asked.

A classic example was the " a quarter of people born today will reach age 100" story, clearly placed by the government as part of its pensions agenda.

Another example, share prices remorslessly quoted.....and how often do things like unemployment figures get discussed?

we need to wake up to how we are manipulated.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mahlerei

It's the age-old fascination for notoriety - the Jackson trial and the nauseating Knox affair seem to be dominating the bulletins today. Much more newsworthy than Italy gurgling down the plug hole.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Part of the ubiquitous Americanisation of the BBC is that it has an enormous crew in USA and has to use them to source material, find/ use American voices / 'expertise' to make sold packages fit more into US schedules, keep bigging up the impact US business has on us, and thus US news stories are more prevalent.

Interestingly, since 2008, increasing financial clout is coming from China / Far East and India these days, AND our biggest export market is the Eurozone, so why do we not get far more news of China, France and Germany than we do? Well, all kinds of reasons that I am sure everyone can think of, but it still remains that so many programmes that I can tune into on BBC these days have default American voices / self-publicising 'experts'.

And I keep thinking 'these are the guys who so royally screwed us up through Lehmann Bros. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, dragged us into Iraq and Afghanistan in a major and nationally humiliating and invalidating way, whose media material coarsens our cinemas / TV / popular music, and I am being suckered into accepting the 'US is leader of the free world' rhetorical garbage. And I don't want to be.'

Here endeth the impotent rant.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
            http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...h-2365612.html
            Not quite the spin you're putting on it. No Americans (with the exception of the pilot) in the helicopter.
            I think using 'spin' in this context was a little ... careless

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Part of the ubiquitous Americanisation of the BBC is that it has an enormous crew in USA and has to use them to source material, find/ use American voices / 'expertise' to make sold packages fit more into US schedules, keep bigging up the impact US business has on us, and thus US news stories are more prevalent.

Interestingly, since 2008, increasing financial clout is coming from China / Far East and India these days, AND our biggest export market is the Eurozone, so why do we not get far more news of China, France and Germany than we do? Well, all kinds of reasons that I am sure everyone can think of, but it still remains that so many programmes that I can tune into on BBC these days have default American voices / self-publicising 'experts'.

And I keep thinking 'these are the guys who so royally screwed us up through Lehmann Bros. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, dragged us into Iraq and Afghanistan in a major and nationally humiliating and invalidating way, whose media material coarsens our cinemas / TV / popular music, and I am being suckered into accepting the 'US is leader of the free world' rhetorical garbage. And I don't want to be.'

Here endeth the impotent rant.
              A lot of Americans are, apparently, shocked by the 'pro-Palestinian bias' of the BBC.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                A lot of Americans are, apparently, shocked by the 'pro-Palestinian bias' of the BBC.
                Not just Americans. Many British people are as well.
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  Not just Americans. Many British people are as well.
                  Of course the BBC is biased
                  It would NEVER invite an Israeli orchestra to the proms
                  or broadcast an Israeli string quartet

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    Of course the BBC is biased
                    It would NEVER invite an Israeli orchestra to the proms
                    or broadcast an Israeli string quartet

Wow. Big deal.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Maybe its a good idea to stop digging ?

Comment

• amateur51

Wow. Big deal.
                        That went straight over the top as usual, MrGG

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          That went straight over the top as usual, MrGG
                          quite

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Maybe its a good idea to stop digging ?
                            Inviting the occasional Israeli ensemble is a quick and easy way for the BBC to persuade the more gullible that they do not pursue an anti- Israeli news agenda. A more long term and sober look at their news coverage makes it perfectly clear that is not the case.

And do you really think they were unaware of the almost certain reaction of the loony left to the invite? The BBC knew full well that the usual bunch of nincompoops would attempt to disrupt the concert. So they were in a win-win situation- they'd invited an Israeli group of musicians, thus showing- to those who can't see beyond the PR stunt- that they do not pursue a pro-Palestinian agenda, whilst at the same time giving yet more publicity to the anti- Israeli faction as a result of the inevitable furore that followed.

Quite clever really, if you think about it. Not that many people have, of course.......

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Quite clever really, if you think about it. Not that many people have, of course.......
                              Café Mozart! - ten o'clock

Comment

Working...
                              X