• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...it's all looney tunes innit

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
      Brian Mawhinney came similarly undone in a typical act of conference mockery and dissembling when he slated a left-wing council for giving money to teach hopscotch to asian women in a 'you couldn't make it up' speech to another tory party conference.

It later transpired that the group in question was a much admired and appreciated in its community and happened to carry the name of hopscotch.
      It's still going too

Brian Who???

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        ...it's all looney tunes innit

Aaaah! Fred Quimby! - the sign of a quality toon

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Aaaah! Fred Quimby! - the sign of a quality toon
          Quimby became a nickname at my school for persons of a certain type. Yep, none of his successors quite got it right after he moved on.

Thanks Calum for posting that T&J cartoon - plenty more on that site to chase away the autumn blues!

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I think Theresa May was just explaining that there isn't enough money in the kitty.

(wheres my coat?)

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              It was good to see Ken Clarke later ridiculing the whole thing and demonstrating that there is at least one person possessing anything that could be remotely described as a brain left in the Tory Party.
              Well, yes, & Cameron demonstrated his lack by backing May.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Ferretfancy;88856]Not to labour a point, but perhaps it's worth remembering that Thatcher's loathing of left wing local authorities led to the promotion and adoption of the notorious Section 28.
                This all arose from a falsehood spread at the Tory Party Conference about forcing gay literature into schools.[QUOTE]

Hmmm, I wonder if I should confess to my role in this?

Comment

• amateur51

[QUOTE=Flosshilde;89013][QUOTE=Ferretfancy;88856]Not to labour a point, but perhaps it's worth remembering that Thatcher's loathing of left wing local authorities led to the promotion and adoption of the notorious Section 28.
                  This all arose from a falsehood spread at the Tory Party Conference about forcing gay literature into schools.

Hmmm, I wonder if I should confess to my role in this?
                  Yes please!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Flosshilde, I'm all agog! Did you write the allegedly naughty book about two gay dads which started the furore?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      Flosshilde, I'm all agog! Did you write the allegedly naughty book about two gay dads which started the furore?
                      No, but I was part of the group of ILEA librarians & teachers that produced the resources list on homosexuality that included it - not suggesting it's use for primary children (although I think it was) but as a book for use in secondary schools in social studies courses on the family.

The list also included other outrageous items like John Boswell's Christianity, social tolerance, and homosexuality: gay people in Western Europe from the beginning of the Christian era to the fourteenth century, & Heinz Heiger's The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True, Life-And-Death Story of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps. But they didn't fit with the Dail Mail & Thatcher's world view.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        But they didn't fit with the Dail Mail & Thatcher's world view.
                        To digress a touch ...

I thought even Theresa's nonsensicals had nothing on the Foreign Secretary's

His speech could possibly be summed up thus:

"The UK economy is hugely reliant on the trading arrangements it has within the EU, but we don't much like our partners within that union, and are determined to keep telling them so, and demand even more of our club dues refunded. We'd much rather trade with other countries much further away like India, Turkey, Brazil etc and we also intend to greatly restore trading links with that great organisation, The Commonwealth. I am delighted to report the recent defence agreement between ourselves and the French but as to more such accords and military integration within Europe in general, I say, No No No! We are utterly determined to tell our closest friends and allies to 'get stuffed' at every available opportunity but we must reluctantly remain within the EU as our national interest demands it. However, if our closest friends and allies need any help and assistance from us, well, the grasping buggers can simply forget it.

This is our vision for the future, my friends!"

As Theresa herself might have said .. "You couldn't make ......... "

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Kitty Litter latest:

A cat did play a key role in the case of an illegal immigrant using human rights law to stay, after a judge suggested that separating him from the pet could cause “mental distress”, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

Flosshilde

Thanks for that information, what a pity that offering a subject for intelligent discussion in schools became a starting point for such a bigoted piece of legislation.Still, even politicians can be persuaded that they can be wrong, although it sometimes takes years.
                            When the repeal of Section 28 was up for debate , I attended a Stonewall meeting at the House of Commons. One of the MPs present was John Bercow, who had been an advocate of Section 28 when it was introduced. He was brave enough to admit that he had been wrong, and it was reasoned argument that had convinced him to support repeal, although this put him at some electoral risk in his Buckingham constituency. I still admire him for that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              Flosshilde

Thanks for that information, what a pity that offering a subject for intelligent discussion in schools became a starting point for such a bigoted piece of legislation.Still, even politicians can be persuaded that they can be wrong, although it sometimes takes years.
                              When the repeal of Section 28 was up for debate , I attended a Stonewall meeting at the House of Commons. One of the MPs present was John Bercow, who had been an advocate of Section 28 when it was introduced. He was brave enough to admit that he had been wrong, and it was reasoned argument that had convinced him to support repeal, although this put him at some electoral risk in his Buckingham constituency. I still admire him for that.
                              It took Labour a Parliamentary term-and-a-half to get rid of this vile piece of legislation, with a majority of 160+ and no implication for the budget. I can still see the look on Barbara Roche's face (she was the Equalities minister at the time) when she realised that the 'nice' audience at Age Concern's first LGBT conference was not going to let her get away with platitudes.

Speaker after speaker from the floor politely but firmly hammered home that the presence of section 28 on the statute book was a stain on the Nation's reputation and on Labour's record. Poor woman was a jibbering heap by the end and the moderator, BBC's Evan Davies, had to rescue her

Good riddance!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

wrong cat
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X