• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Dying by Halves ( Almost!)

Continuing my RAF African odyssey..... Frequent use was made of towing a drogue behind an aircraft for other planes to have shooting practice with a camera 'gun.' This device was attached to the tail of the towing plane & was ultimately released & allowed to fall to the ground before landing. I remember on one occasion setting off to retrieve this with several native helpers. I was aware of a pilot about to take-off & signalled him not to do so. His plane could have become entangled in hundreds of yards of steel cable with fatal consequences, to him & his crew, or so I thought. However the impatient b****** eventually decided to to take-off, tail up, full throttle across the grass with the cable caught up in his tail wheel. I suddenly became aware that all around me great loops of steel wire were leaping into the air to a height of about 4-5 feet. Never one for doing things , as the expression goes, 'by halves' I suddenly realised I was shortly about to be a creature of halves, at that moment when the loop of wire in which I was standing was no longer a loop. Screaming at my helpers to run for it with no one knowing in which direction to go we ran & ran until clear of the wire. Luckily we all survived but I have often thought, what a funny way to die - for someone who never believed in doing things 'by halves'
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I've heard of jumping through hoops, gamba, but that story is a cut above the rest.

Comment

Working...
    X