• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
    Or they might just want to get rid of new music .
    I don't think they'll do that. My hunch is that new music doesn't get mentioned much because it doesn't quite fit the direction of the station now. As long as it's hidden up in the late-night schedule and doesn't upset the 'new' listeners down in the popular slots it'll be allowed to continue.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ariosto

Since the BBC is now a commercial broadcaster with no committment to public broadcasting perhaps the answer would be to close down the Beeb altogether? That would save a bit of money.

But failing this and with R3 and music in mind, it is ridiculous to waste more money on the Proms. The Proms should be reduced to about 25 concerts - but make them all good ones - or even do away with them altogether and use the money to promote live music all year round - and improve standards.

R3 should get rid of all the crap programmes like breakfast and In Tune and also get rid of the overpaid "celebs" Like KD and others. Paying a couple of ordinary announcers would be peanuts and save a lot.

The money should be put into music - including new music - and performers - and not useless bigwigs like Roger Wright.

Radio 5 Live should be scrapped altogether - it's a waste of space.

I dare say I will be cancelling my licence fee again in a few months.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Interesting ff. Of relevance here is the fact that Radio 1 abandoned its roadshows a few years ago. It must have been costly taking Smiley Miley and the gang everywhere from Bridlington to Barry Island to ruin peoples' holidays.

Back in the 1970s, there was also a lot of money spent on people like Noel Edmonds and Kid Jensen indulging in their love of motor racing. I have the photos as proof. How that was supposed to be entertainment - radio entertainment - goodness only knows. With charity from the establishment of that kind, no wonder Jensen became a Mason.

How on earth is the current budget for R1 £40.7m? What are they spending it on? Have they got some sort of coke deal going? It can't be alcohol because most of them are too young to drink.

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          How on earth is the current budget for R1 £40.7m? What are they spending it on? Have they got some sort of coke deal going? It can't be alcohol because most of them are too young to drink.
          Radio 1 is not famous these days for live broadcasting. Most of its output comes from playing records. It does not have six orchestras and a choir to pay (at least Radio 2 and the TV programmes can claim to use the BBCCO). If it does OB most of the music is records though I bet very little of that £40.7m goes to the Performing Rights. It goes to the DJs who pull in more for blathering than your average maestro on the rostrum.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

I wish there was a "Like" button on here, Chris. This'll do.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              Withdrawal of some medium wave. R4 longwave to be phased out - Agree. A natural development. [
              Not sure about R4 longwave. I don't mean the programming, but three LF transmitters cover virtually the whole country. The day may yet come when for strategic reasons they may be required. These transmitters are also important for shipping. More information here:

Last edited by mangerton; 06-10-11, 15:52.

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                Since the BBC is now a commercial broadcaster with no committment to public broadcasting perhaps the answer would be to close down the Beeb altogether? That would save a bit of money.

But failing this and with R3 and music in mind, it is ridiculous to waste more money on the Proms. The Proms should be reduced to about 25 concerts - but make them all good ones - or even do away with them altogether and use the money to promote live music all year round - and improve standards.

R3 should get rid of all the crap programmes like breakfast and In Tune and also get rid of the overpaid "celebs" Like KD and others. Paying a couple of ordinary announcers would be peanuts and save a lot.

The money should be put into music - including new music - and performers - and not useless bigwigs like Roger Wright.

Radio 5 Live should be scrapped altogether - it's a waste of space.

I dare say I will be cancelling my licence fee again in a few months.
                O yes, just close it all down, including the totally worthless Proms, which nobody's interested in. And while we're at it close down stations like 5 Live which I don't listen to and which therefore by definition don't deserve a penny. It's fatuous nonsense like this that simply aids and abets those in our main governing party who would see absolutely no harm at all in closing it down and buying shares in that erudite and philanthropic pillar of our cultural life Classic FM.

Give me strength.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  How unbelievably patronising.

No wonder many people think classical music is elitist and out of touch when posters here spout such ignorant codswallop.
                  I think you are confusing "patronising" and "Understanding".

Plus you have completely misunderstood my point.

But apart from that, not quite sure who it is you think I am patronising. radio 1 in general, and daytime in particular, has been producing a "Soma" effect for as long as anyone can remember. I should know, I have listened to it enough over the years.(I know, it shows !!)

We all need liberating from the dead hand of vacuous culture, and we are all(well a lot of us) on a journey to better understanding the world. good quality pop music (EG Radiohead) doesn't come into my definition of vacuous culture.

not really sure what your point about Classical music is about. There are elitist and out of touch people in classical music. Like there are in every walk of life.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

seriously though, exactly how much should it cost to record a decent lunchtime concert, one already scheduled.
                    ought to make a reasonablycheap hours programming , I should have thought.

Or is the BBC over manning on these things?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

ignorant as I am, I don't even understand how £5.7 million gets spent at Radio4Extra

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        seriously though, exactly how much should it cost to record a decent lunchtime concert, one already scheduled.
                        ought to make a reasonablycheap hours programming , I should have thought.

Or is the BBC over manning on these things?
                        It would be interesting to compare it to the cost of Radio 5 Live's coverage of an afternoon/evening's football including all the build-up and then the post-mortems and 606 stuff.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          It would be interesting to compare it to the cost of Radio 5 Live's coverage of an afternoon/evening's football including all the build-up and then the post-mortems and 606 stuff.
                          Indeed. Well if i am not mistaken, at a major commentary match, they have two commentators and an "expert summariser".. Don't know how many tech people.

606. Seriously. I love football,( been watching my team for over 40 years) I love the fact thst people have a chance to air their opinions (in theory anyway!) on "our"BBC.....but it seems to be on for hours every weekend, and honestly, who would miss it ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

just a thought.
                            The company i work for publishes good quality original non fiction books.
                            VERY roughly, those books cost around £10,000 each to publish, including a print run of maybe 1500 per title. That is ALL costs including production, royalties, editorial, distribution, sales, marketing , admin, etc etc.

wonder how much radio or telly you get for £10 k ?

Comment

• Russ

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              wonder how much radio or telly you get for £10 k ?
                              About 25 minutes of radio drama, or about 1 minute of TV drama. (Durations for non-drama programmes will be higher.)

Russ

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

Does anybody have any idea of the comparative costs of BBC News and Channel 4 News? To my mind, the latter is superior in almost every way, and it doesn't retain permanent correspondents overseas. except in Washington. The work of people like their chief overseas correspondent Lindsay Hillsum offers a model that the BBC can't match.
                                The Beeb output has always been dominated by news and current affairs, certainly since the days of Alastair Milne, presumably to keep the politicians happy. I can't remember a time when it was ever as bad as it is now.

Comment

Working...
                                X